SteinArneJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ricoh Theta S auto horizon correction - is it working both ways?

Sorry if "both ways" sounds confusing to you.

I have been using a Theta SC for a couple of months now and find it hard to notice any difference in picture quality between my shots and others made with the Theta S.

However I have a nagging suspicion that I have found one function where Ricoh may have saved a few cents.

The auto horizon correction (gyroscope?) is only working sideways. It does not matter if I tilt the camera to the left or right as long as the front and back lenses are on exactly the same level.  If not - I will get an more or less S-shaped horizon.

Is it the same with the Theta S?

6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Ricoh Theta S auto horizon correction - is it working both ways?

Hi @SteinArneJ to be honest, I've never noticed. I'll have to do some testing.

Level 8

Sometimes, if you are doing postpoduction, you can loose gyroscope information

Level 8

@Cosmo That's not the problem with the Theta SC.  If the camera is tilted forwards or backwards when I take a photo it will end up with a more or less S-shaped horizon even without editing. Holding the monopod in front of me with both lenses having the same height is OK, like this shot: https://goo.gl/maps/bjoMK8YypJv

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Hi @SteinArneJ to be honest, I've never noticed. I'll have to do some testing.

@PaulPavlinovich Please do!

Level 8

@SteinArneJI am not sure that you understand my suggestion, but maybe this is your solution - http://www.360camerauser.com/horizon-correction-360-panoramas-ricoh-theta/

Level 8

@Cosmo wrote:

@SteinArneJI am not sure that you understand my suggestion, but maybe this is your solution - http://www.360camerauser.com/horizon-correction-360-panoramas-ricoh-theta/

Thank you @Cosmo.

I know how to deal with the S-shaped horizon problem and to load the gyroscope data into the software or picturefile itself.  My problem is that even with the original Theta software I will still get a more or less S-shaped horizon if I tilt the camera forwards or backwards - but not if I only tilt it sideways.

If the unedited and edited photo on the page you're linking to was shot with a Theta S, then I believe there is no difference in this matter since even after the shot was corrected - the horizon isn't a 100% straight line.

I am able to fix those S- horizons using an IOS app called "edit360" - but it only saves in JPG format so I loose a fraction of details. Besides, it is time consuming having to manually load, fix and save every shot that need it with the app.

Still - it would be nice to know for sure how it is, because if the S does have a better gyroscope than the SC, I may consider changing to that camera.

I will search for some other 360 forums to ask since this one seems to have little activity this time of the year 🙂