Austin_ONeill's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Questions about Common Courtesy with taking photos

I have a few questions with regards to taking photos of locations. I am still trying to learn the ropes of being a local guide.

1). Do you need to ask the owner if it is OK to take photos of the business? Is it a common courtesy to do so?

2). Is it ok to post a photo with a stranger's face or if a car's license plate is in the frame? 

3). Is so, does google blur out the faces of the strangers/ license plates in Google Maps photos?

4). Are there are another common courtesies to do when taking photos of a location?

1 comment
Level 4

Re: Questions about Common Courtesy with taking photos

Aside from legality, courtesy demands you get permission from people in publicly posted photos, especially if you name them. I also try to get owners of properties permission when taking photos of places. Common courtesy demands this, in my opinion. Also, much of the time, you are photographing friends, neighbors, and your community. I find their opinions of me to be important. A smile, along with an explanation, often goes a long way with folks. I would not have decided to be a Guide otherwise. 🙂