StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photos of Museums and other tourists exhibits

A recent discussion in our local community group which we couldn't pin-point the best answer or solution. Wanting to get thoughts of photo contributors out here.

Almost every large city has some museums, whilst mainly to showcase historical elements and artifacts, many of the museums are key to the local tourism industry, to draw tourists to visit, to help the local economy.

As Local Guides, we have the capacity to take photos of tourist attractions to share in Google Maps. And whilst taking and uploading photos of the exterior and interiors to show what the museum looks like is a good thing and will draw a lot of interest from potential visitors; there is the question of taking and uploading photos of the exhibits themselves. And showcasing some main exhibits in Google Maps photos will be useful to a certain extend. 

However, if and when someone starts taking high resolution photos of every exhibit and sharing it in Maps, then, there's the argument of if everything can be seen online, then at least some will not visit the museum any longer, which then reduces the actual visitors to the museum. Videos and 360 panoramas on top.

Museums usually don't prohibit taking of photos for personal use though.

This may apply to some other types of exhibits as well. 

What's your opinion about this. 

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
15 comments
Level 8

Re: Photos of Museums and other tourists exhibits

@StephenAbrahamsome snaps and panoramas might be uploaded from the outside of the musium but from inside that is totally against the rules of many musium authority.Musium is packed with many valuable and historical things our photos and panoramas from inside of the  musium might help thiefs and others and also we can't loss anyone's​ business through our contribution we need to make that place more attractive for visitors not loss and one's business.

Level 8

@StephenAbraham

Good Morning from yours Kerala 😍

I'm agreeing with you, Museums shouldn't prohibit people from taking photos. This I'm telling because there's no use for prohibiting. If one wishes to visit a museum, he will definitely visit. He won't think that " Hey, this place is pretty well captured in maps, so don't go " , one won't think like that. If he have a mind to visit, he will.

So, museums and governments should take action against the prohibition of photographs.

This is my opinion...

Regards,

JUSTIN ALEX

Level 8

Hello @ayann,

You're saying that those photos will help thiefs. Then my question is " Isn't there a proper security?

Nowadays, almost all museums have good physical security and all are  equipped with high quality CCTV cameras.

So, there's no role for any thiefs. 

Regards

JUSTIN ALEX

South India

Level 8

@JustinAlex I said might help,man when you are taking 360 or panoramas inside the musium the thiefs might get their raw material about planning don't​ take my words wrongly I'm just making a point that might help them that's it

Level 8

Yeah, I understood what you have told brother, I'm not trying to offend you @ayann 😊

Rather,  I just mentioned about the security, i.e, if they have enough security, whatever plans they have, thiefs can't do anything.

On the other side, if good 360's  and photos are available, people will have a desire to visit those places and to see those stuffs directly.

Regards,

JUSTIN ALEX

South India

Level 8

According to My point of view,it is not needed to share all the images of a museum. Just sharing few amazing clicks will give people a curiosity to visit the place  . If you are sharing a well designed shelf people will always wanted to know what will be inside.Let them go there and enjoy by their eyes.

Level 8

ayaan is correct some of our museums have many valuable things like old swords, guns, crowns chairs, etc. photos, especially the 360 photos help thieves to steal it easily. The veluthampi dalava's sword in Trivandrum museum is an example, it's priceless.

Level 8

@antosmaman Ok, let me ask onething.

If a thief needs to steal something, he don't need the 360 or any type of photo. He can just walk into the museum in the day time by giving just 10 Rs. 

Now, what are you saying @antosmaman ?

Level 8

@JustinAlex You are correct But when catching terrorists and thiefs police found a lot of pictures of the places they are going to stole or attack . If visiting is the better way to stole what is the need of those photos