Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Photo tips for cherry blossom season

Hi, I’m Christina — I’m new to the Local Guides team! I’m an enthusiastic photographer, and I’m excited to start sharing some of my favorite tips here on Connect.

If you live in Japan, this is an exciting time of year for anyone who loves taking nature photos. As spring arrives and the weather gets warmer, sakura (cherry blossom) trees begin their gorgeous annual bloom. They’re absolutely wonderful to photograph.

Tokyo’s trees are in peak bloom now through April 2, and the flowers will soon appear in the country’s northern areas. But Japan isn’t the only place to see this amazing event: Trees across South Korea are also blooming right now, and Washington, D.C. is expected to turn pastel from April 8 to 12. There are many pockets of cherry blossom trees around the world, and prime viewing windows can be just days long in each location — so be sure to check the forecast near you.

If you’re lucky enough to live somewhere with blooming cherry blossoms, do the rest of us a huge favor: Take photos and add them to hanami (Japanese for “cherry blossom viewing”) spots on Google Maps! Here are some tips.

Tip 1: Take photos at the right time of day

You'll get the best light (and the thinnest crowds at popular spots) just after dawn and just before dusk. Avoid shooting in the afternoon on sunny days, because bright light can wash out the colors of the pink blossoms. But even if it’s raining,  you can get still get a beautiful shot of the scene when someone walks by with an umbrella!

People with umbrellas walking on a path lined with cherry blossom trees in Tokyo.  (Anna Dickson)People with umbrellas walking on a path lined with cherry blossom trees in Tokyo. (Anna Dickson)  

Tip 2:  Use blossoms to frame a subject

Have fun with framing! Try using the branches to frame or draw attention to something else in your photo. If there’s an interesting building or pathway, explore different ways the blossoms can lead your eye to the subject or focal point.

The Meguro canal, framed by cherry blossoms. (Getty Images)The Meguro canal, framed by cherry blossoms. (Getty Images)

A Japanese pagoda with cherry blossoms in the forefront. (Getty Images)A Japanese pagoda with cherry blossoms in the forefront. (Getty Images)

Tip 3: Work with the crowd

If there’s a large group of people enjoying the scenery, try a wide-angle view that will show the variety of trees, along with the size of the crowd.

Crowds enjoying the cherry blossoms in Tokyo’s Ueno Park. (Getty Images)Crowds enjoying the cherry blossoms in Tokyo’s Ueno Park. (Getty Images)

Tip 4: Find beauty in the details

Want to avoid the crowd in your photos? Just look up! Try shooting upward, into the trees, to show the details of the blossoms. A blue sky can contrast nicely with the pink flowers.

A close-up of pink cherry blossoms. (Getty Images)A close-up of pink cherry blossoms. (Getty Images)

Tip 5: Shoot from a distance

Here’s one more angle to try: Find a viewpoint away from the blossoms. It’s lovely to see their pop of color on a wider landscape

People in rowboats during sakura season. (Anna Dickson)People in rowboats during sakura season. (Anna Dickson)

Are you excited to photograph cherry blossom season and share your photos on Google Maps? Share your photos in the comments here, too, so everyone on Connect can see.

104 comments
Level 8

Re: Photo tips for cherry blossom season

@Christina-NYC

ma'am such a great post deserve for pinning

thank you for your amezing tips i also love to take photos i will try to follow this,very useful.

And also images are awesome 👌👌👌👌

Level 6

@Christina-NYC

Amazing post , thank you so much for sharing this  tips with us 

Level 10

Thanks for sharing the useful tips with us @Christina-NYC, They are indeed very useful. Good to also have you on the team as well. A warm welcome to you .

Level 6

Thanks for sharing your awesome tips...very useful info here. @Christina-NYC

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC, though here is no any cherry blossom here but still I feel lucky that I can see blossoming cherry from different posts by local guides. Here is Rhododendron blossom time in Nepal and the tips are beneficial for me too. Thank you so much for this beautiful post. 🙂

Level 5

Hi Cristina- NYC

From Monterrey México

Level 10

Dear @Christina-NYC,

Wonderful blog and photos are awesome.

Thanks for your tips and inspiration.

With best regards,

John Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina-NYC thank you very much for sharing these great information about Cherry Blossom trees, they are looking very nice and hope its fragrance is also great, i have see Cherry Blossom shoe polish which is very famous here in Pakistan, is it prepared by same tree or it is something else?

Level 8

Great tips @Christina-NYC

Thanks for sharing...

I'm waiting for more posts from your side....

Regards,

JUSTIN ALEX

South India