LuisRG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Photo Tip: Rule of Thirds and Golden Ratio

As you may  have seen in our July newsletter, we've shared a nice tip for composing your images, but I want to elaborate a little bit on it. When you take your next photo, visualize the frame cut into thirds like the image below. You want your subjects to be where the lines cross. It’s called the “rule of thirds,” and it’s one way to create interesting composition within a frame.

Photo by Whitney TresselPhoto by Whitney Tressel

There are other ways of composing the image, where the lines that divide the frame are not equally spaced, following what's called the Golden ratio. This is a great way to compose your images.

Golden ratioGolden ratio

And as pros usually say, you first need to know the rules to know when to break them 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
16 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Photo Tip: Rule of Thirds and Golden Ratio

I love this rule 😄

@LuisR wrote:

And as pros usually say, you first need to know the rules to know when to break them 🙂

Me too @iyudhi 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 9

I love this rule too. Thanks for sharing this info in details. From now on I start clicking photos with this rule. 

When I first read the mail from Local guides I laughed because In medicine (Orthopedics) there is another "Rule of Thirds" and I heard the term during my college days. Just a little info. I am telling you that rule.  I hope you will like it. 🙂 

" Rule of Thirds" 

The classification of bone shaft fractures: proximal third, midshaft, and distal third. Midshaft fractures heal more slowly than other fractures because the blood supply in the middle of a bone is less than that at either end.
Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus

Wow @DrShaunak, that rule is much harder 🙂

Always a great rule to follow. But rules are sometimes meant to be broken, as seen in photographs by Steve McCurry!

http://petapixel.com/2015/03/16/9-photo-composition-tips-as-seen-in-photographs-by-steve-mccurry/

Exactly! But as I said, you need to know the rules first to be able to break them with style 🙂

Interesting!

We learn something new every day @DrShaunak!

Connect Moderator

So do we use this sub-forum to post tips & tricks for photography? If we want to post the photos themselves, we do it on the 'Photos and discoveries' sub-forum?

Yes, exactly like that 🙂

We can ask about different cameras here, lenses, tripods, etc. And use the other board for showing our work 🙂

@IvanY wrote:

So do we use this sub-forum to post tips & tricks for photography? If we want to post the photos themselves, we do it on the 'Photos and discoveries' sub-forum?