Monte's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Number of published photos on Maps

I just saw an example of user which has 13xx photos on desktop, and the same user on android has 33xx photos. For not violating privacy of that member last two numbers are xx. I would like to know how many photos this user contributed? Over one thousand as it is shown on desktop, or over 3 thousands as it is shown on android. In the same moment the view count is exactly the same on both desktop and android version.Why is such abnormal huge difference in number of  contributed photos?

5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Number of published photos on Maps

Hi @Monte the count of images can be different from phone to desktop because of syncing the data. They would not normally be that different. If you're really concerned about it tag in a Google Moderator and ask them to contact you privately. Given it is someone else's account I would not worry about it. The Googler would look at the account but could not answer to you about that account.

Regards

Paul

Level 2

@PaulPavlinovichThan you for your answer. When you analyse data with number of photos, for multiple users over longer period, than you have much better view on the problem. When you connect this with mysterious changes in display ranking, and some most viewed photos which are deleted by google, then you could understand it better. 

Connect Moderator

@Monte Google only delete images which do not meet the guidelines for Maps. This article will help you understand what is and is not allowed https://support.google.com/contributionpolicy/answer/7422880?hl=en

What is much more common than Google removing images is a misunderstanding about the relationship between Google Photos and Maps Photos. When you upload to Maps the photo is visible in your Google Photos. If you delete it from Google Photos it will disappear from Maps too because there is only one instance of the image. Lots of people fall for that one.

Regards

Paul

Level 10

@Monte Thank you sharing it with us, many others too face this discrepancy but within 24 hrs or so, it used to be resolved.

Generally, Desktop shows less number of views than on mobile application.

@Alac

@PaulPavlinovich

@Monte wrote:

I just saw an example of user which has 13xx photos on desktop, and the same user on android has 33xx photos. For not violating privacy of that member last two numbers are xx. I would like to know how many photos this user contributed? Over one thousand as it is shown on desktop, or over 3 thousands as it is shown on android. In the same moment the view count is exactly the same on both desktop and android version.Why is such abnormal huge difference in number of  contributed photos?

Level 2

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

@Monte Google only delete images which do not meet the guidelines for Maps. This article will help you understand what is and is not allowed https://support.google.com/contributionpolicy/answer/7422880?hl=en

What is much more common than Google removing images is a misunderstanding about the relationship between Google Photos and Maps Photos. When you upload to Maps the photo is visible in your Google Photos. If you delete it from Google Photos it will disappear from Maps too because there is only one instance of the image. Lots of people fall for that one.

Regards

Paul

This looks interesting answer