NatalieP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Street View Moderator

News from the 2017 Street View Summit in Tokyo, Japan

Hi Local Guides-

New things are afoot with Street View! Trusted photographers, developers, hardware manufacturers and the Google team gathered in Tokyo, Japan for the 2017 Street View Summit. As you may have seen in the blog post, the team debuted four new Street View ready ‘standards,’ giving you even more choices of tools and publishing platforms for your 360 imagery. Check out the official recap video here.

With the new Street View mobile, auto, vr, and workflow ready options, there are even more ways to celebrate the best of your area by publishing 360 photos on Google Maps.

Interested in becoming a trusted photographer and displaying the trusted badge on your Maps profile? Simply publish 50 maps-approved 360 photos with the Street View app. Our Help Center has more information about how to use the Street View app.

If you are interested in the technical details, below you will find a summary of some of the new cameras that are available, or will be soon. Happy shooting!

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 3.50.52 PM.png

Street View mobile ready - cameras that support onsite recording, processing, and publishing

• Giroptic introduced their iO camera that attaches to your mobile device with real time stitching, enabling the lowest latency output for the best quality.
  • NCTech showcased their iris360 Pro, which supports higher resolution than ever before, with 90MP (14k) and auto HDR. It was created for professional use cases.  
  • 360Fly - The 360Fly 4K is a single lens, 4K waterproof camera. The Pro version provides dedicated power and data transfer, so that you can live stream and record nonstop. It is engineered for action sports, scuba diving or ice-climbing with the ability to link fitness tracker date to your recorded video
  • KenXen - The Model SDV360T4 is a hand-held camera with instant social media sharing capabilities which will be available in October.

Street View auto ready - mountable cameras that can be attached to your vehicle or bike

• Sphericam - This 6 sensor camera captures 12K, RAW 360 photos at 5 frames per second, while storing up to 1.5TB. The Sphericam 2 will available later this year.
  • Z CAM - The Z CAM G1 is a 4 lens, 6K camera that captures at 10 frames per second. Its gigabit ethernet port allows for fast file transfers.
  • Insta360 - The Insta360 Pro is an 8K camera with 6 lenses that capture at 30 frames per second. It has built-in stabilization, can stitch images directly in the camera, and also supports live streaming.
  • NCTech Ltd - The iStar Pulsar Mobile has Intel technology inside and real time on-board stitching. It also includes HDR image capture at 12K, 5 frames per second. It also supports live HD streaming and playback of video to mobile devices through the iSTAR app.

Street View vr ready - cameras with the ability to capture area geometry in addition to 360 photos

• Matterport - The fully automated Pro camera allows for single click publishing to Google Street View without needing to stitch or make manual connections.
  • NCTech Ltd. - The NCTech VRC is a 10K HDR camera that can capture an image in 1 minute and show a preview in-app. A 3D model can be created from measurements taken from imagery. In the hand scanning mode, you can also scan objects/products.
  • Inside Maps - The app controlled HERO 360 rotor device attaches to your iPhone and enables sharp HDR imagery. The app can also extract floorplans from your imagery and create 3D tours.

Street View workflow ready - cameras and software which can ease your SV workflow

• Samsung - The new, lightweight Gear 360 (2017 edition) fits in your pocket and can create 4K video and 15MP 360 photos. It now comes with landscape HDR and compatible with more mobile devices.
  • GoPro - GoPro’s 5.2K spherical camera was designed to be the ultimate capture device for both fully immersive virtual reality content as well as conventional non-VR video and photo formats. It will be ready for commercial distribution at the end of 2017.
  • HumanEyes Technologies -  Vuze is a nearly pocket-sized, 8 lens device with stereoscopic 3D depth and 3D audio. It includes free software for publishing to Street View and will begin shipping in June to consumers.
  • iGuide - An indoor mapping system with a laser scanner providing high data precision and direct location of 360 photos on the 2D map created. Street View integration will be available beginning in June with 1-click export to Google maps.
  • GoThru - This easy to use desktop editor allows photographers to connect their 360 photos and publish them directly to Google maps. One of the first developers to explore using the Street View publish API, Go Thru has fast become one of the main tools used by the wider pro community.
  • Garden Gnome - Pano2VR is a complete desktop editor with Street View publishing capabilities. As well as key features such as bulk nadir patching, it has video editing capabilities with fly-into and virtual tour transition effects, to name a few.
  • LCP360 - Panoskin is an end-to-end Street View publishing tool with the ability to create levels, islands, account level and tour level nadirs, publishing and unpublishing capabilities and the upcoming tour mirroring feature.

*Many of these products offer features that extend beyond the scope of current Street View capabilities. Please consider a product's Street View-specific advantages before deciding whether to buy.

11 comments
Level 10

Re: News from the 2017 Street View Summit in Tokyo, Japan

Thanks for the information @NatalieP this post will be very useful for 360 photos &camera lovers. 

Congratulations for the well managed 2017 street view summit 

Level 9

I'm a newbie in this field, i know a little about the needed gears, image standards, etc.

but your article really sums it up, thanks for the useful information @NatalieP 🙂

Level 9

Magnificent article and really useful as a reference.

Thanks for sharing @NatalieP !

Level 8

@NatalieP street view is the best part of the Google Maps... Sometime I just keep exploring random places around the world through this 😛 .....

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Connect Moderator

Looks like some really great things coming up - hopefully we'll see some of this gear at #lgsummit17 in SF @NatalieP

Level 10

I just got into the street view hire list and this is a great news , thanks @NatalieP for sharing, i have seen the video and there are a lot of things i have to learn about street view.

Level 3

Thanks For The Information miss @NatalieP.. 

Level 8

I've been thinking about joining Street View but I have zero experience with 360 pictures (taking them) or equipment. 

Thanks for this post, it's really useful for a newbie like me.

Level 10

@NatalieP Thanks, I will share this to my fellow local guides in my area.

This will help a lot to street view photographers