UrvilS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Milky Way in Hong Kong?

Hi fellow local guides,

As you all know , the immense light pollution makes it incredibly challenging to shoot a clear, starry night sky in Hong Kong. But it is definitely possible.

I just want to know which month/time of day is the best for taking photos of the Milky Way in Hong Kong?

I have been to the Astropark in Sai Kung but no luck of capturing the Milky Way. A full moon really does not help.

Lookng forward to shooting with all of you! Thanks. 

East dam in Sai Kung in FebruaryEast dam in Sai Kung in February

Hong Kong
4 comments
Level 7

Re: Milky Way in Hong Kong?

First you have got to choose a time of year when the Milky Way is visible high in the sky - roughly speaking summer. There are apps that show the position of the Milky Way for a particular time and place.

Then avoid the moon - there are apps that show moon rise / set / size for a particular location.

Avoid the hours after sunset and before sunrise, there are apps that show their times.

Obviously you need to avoid clouds - there are apps which give short and long term weather forecasts. It is a bonus if you can pick a cloudless night after a rainstorm.

Find the part of Hong Kong with the least light pollution, the following website gives a reasonably up to date map, but Hong Kong is the sort of place where a light pollution map can become outdated >

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

Level 10

@UrvilS, I am a fans of shooting starry night in Hong Kong too!!

I think shooting in High Island Reservoir East Dam is already one of the best location in Hong Kong, or otherwise you may try outer islands, but I think better timing is East Dam is good enough.

That will be great to go there with a group of people!

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Level 7

Thanks @PeterGO for your detailed response,

I will take all those factors into consideration.

I was looking for something more specific to Hong Kong, however. Like you mentioned, this darksite finder is better on the country-level

It is mostly red for Hong Kong, which is disappointing. Do the colors vary with time of day too?

Given Hong Kong's elevated levels of light pollution and large amounts of buildings.

Level 7

Yes, @Brett that's a wonderful idea.

I'd like to create an interest group for night photography.

Do you know any others who would be interested?  We can create a local guides group/event

Urvil