SouvickP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: I'm quitting after level 7 as a local guide.

Hi @laxmangatuam if you upload the photos as "high quality" rather than the full resolution then Google Photos will not consume space from your drive quota.

This help article will explain how to do it https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

@Rembrandt wrote:

@PaulPavlinovichI remembered that google in the begining for phospheres suggested to upload equirectangulars at full resolution. Of course people and rules are changing, and we change with them.

I've not noticed that photospheres take drive space, I'll have to try an experiment and let you know.

Level 8

As far as I am aware of, PhotoSpheres will not take up our Google Drive space as long as we do not upload them to Google Photo.

We can directly add the photo to Maps using StreetView App, we can add the PhotoSphere directly to Maps from local device Folder.

Connect Moderator

@Rembrandt wrote:

@PaulPavlinovichIf you upload photosphere as original size, than photospheres are taking google drive space. If you leave  google to compress your photos, than no space is occupy with your photospheres or photos. This is just an answer from google to facebook policy of unlimited space for photos.But the main problem is quality or quantity. No one artist can fulfill 15 gb with masterpiece photos in a lifetime, and ordinary pet lover make at least 15 gb photos of his/her cat monthly. Of course, some kind of photos with sofisticated tonal range do not like compression from facebook or google.

Your advice is not correct @Rembrandt please read this Maps forum post https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/maps/DRI_6XfNGBQ/al-dBD4QsvUJ

Photosphere do not take space. Remember to always upload them through the Street View App. If you just add them to Maps they will take space and they come out flat.

@Rembrandt is this your primary account? You do seem to know an awful lot for a Level 1 Local Guide. 

Regards

Paul

Level 6

@MariaBi

@JoeCullity

This post was very informative.

Thanks a lot!

@SouvickP: Sauvick, please do not quit,you will definitely get back your pictures.Best of luck and Take care!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force

Level 6

@MariaBi wrote:

Hi @SouvickP,

Thanks for your great work and passion - we do appreciate it.

Did you check your trash folder? As @JoeCullity suggested, if your available space is not increased, it means that the photos might be still in the trash folder and you might be able to retrieve them. 

My suggestion will be also to use Google Photos to back up your photos  and, when trying to delete the originals, use the 'Free up space' feature. Do not delete the backed up photos. Plus make sure to change the photo quality to 'High Quality' instead of 'Original' (unless you use a Pixel phone) so that the photos don't count towards your Drive quota. Please read here for more tips on how reducing and changing size of your photos.

@MariaBi

@JoeCullity

This post was very informative.

Thanks a lot!

@SouvickP: Sauvick, please do not quit,you will definitely get back your pictures.Best of luck and Take care!

Warm Regards!

Sameena Kausar

Indian Air Force

Level 3

Where's google translate [translate this page] when you need it? lol

Level 3

Plus, as someone else mentioned, if it's a High Res photo it doesn't take up room!?

Level 9

Uploaded photos to Google Maps taking our Drive storage space

Hi @JeslynL,

As Local Guides we are contributing to Google Maps in many ways, one of them is to upload high quality photos of places, businesses, etc. but each photo we upload to Google Maps is taking our storage space. As Google Expert I have extra storage which I use for my personal stuff but what with regular users who have only 15GB of free storage? I've noticed that my high quality photos uploaded to Google Maps so far took over 6GB of my Drive storage which is shared between Gmail, Google Photos and Drive. This is simply unfair. If I delete some of these photos from my Google Photos, that photo will be automatically deleted from Google Maps. Practically Google is forcing people to purchase more storage in order to upload photos to Google Maps.

Best,

Johnny..

Former Google Contributor

Re: Uploaded photos to Google Maps taking our Drive storage space

Hi @JohnnyE

I moved your post here in a thread with a similar topic. My suggestion will be to use the 'Free up space' feature in Google Photos and make sure to change the photo quality to 'High Quality' instead of 'Original' (unless you use a Pixel phone) so that the photos don't count towards your Drive quota. Please read here for more tips on how reducing and changing size of your photos.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them