Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos of sports venues

Whether you’re training for a big game at a local baseball park or going to see your favorite team play soccer at a large stadium, you can capture fun shots at a sports venue. Photographing sports in action can be tricky without the right photo equipment as motion blur can sometimes occur, but you can still take some great shots of the setting that will be helpful in guiding sports fans.

Here are some tips that will help you to be at the top of your photo game, along with some photos shared on Google Maps — photographed by Local Guides like you!

1. Explore the vivid color

From the jerseys for sale to the colorful seating, a wide array of color can be found at a sporting event. Look for bright colors in the stadium seating, soccer field, basketball court, or in the stadium architecture.

Caption: A photo of orange and blue stadium seats. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of orange and blue stadium seats. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of soccer jerseys. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of soccer jerseys. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of a soccer match and field in Macau. (Local Guide Weng Hong Leong)Caption: A photo of a soccer match and field in Macau. (Local Guide Weng Hong Leong)

2. Get low or shoot high to find the graphic elements

There are many different shapes and lines that can be found at sports venues. Look for the boundary lines on a field and capture the curves of the graphic elements you see at a location. Try something different from your normal point of view. Walk around the location and see if you can capture the curve of the stadium or lines on a field from different vantage points.

Caption: A photo of a cricket pitch. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a cricket pitch. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of the field and stands at Ion Oblemenco Stadium in Craiova, Romania. (Local Guide Cristi Petrescu)Caption: A photo of the field and stands at Ion Oblemenco Stadium in Craiova, Romania. (Local Guide Cristi Petrescu)
Caption: A photo of Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, in the evening. (Local Guide Andry Ivanov)Caption: A photo of Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, in the evening. (Local Guide Andry Ivanov)

3. Explore the food

One of my favorite things to do while attending a sports event is enjoy the tasty food! Capture what’s available to eat at the food stands in natural light or food sold by street vendors outside of the venue. To get a beautiful food shot, wait until after you capture the photo to take that first bite!

Caption: A photo of tacos at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Local Guide Brian Rock)Caption: A photo of tacos at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Local Guide Brian Rock)

Caption: A photo of french fries at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington. (Local Guide Hunter Beaulaurier)Caption: A photo of french fries at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington. (Local Guide Hunter Beaulaurier)

4. Don’t forget the exterior

On your way in or out of a game, try to grab a photo of the exterior of the venue. Include any signage or info about the event if you can.

Caption: A photo of Olympic Stadium Fisht in Sochi, Russia. (Local Guide Alexey S)Caption: A photo of Olympic Stadium Fisht in Sochi, Russia. (Local Guide Alexey S)

Caption: A photo of the exterior and signage of Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. (Local Guide Benjamin Gordon)Caption: A photo of the exterior and signage of Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. (Local Guide Benjamin Gordon)

Are you someone who loves sports and looks up info on Google Maps to help you find your next spot to see the action up close? Share your photos of sports venues that are on Google Maps and tell everyone in the comments: What can Local Guides do to help others learn about where the best places to see a game are?

65 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to take photos of sports venues

Great tips...!

Thanks for sharing this useful tips and beautiful pictures with us @Christina-NYC

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC

That's great tips and tricks for sports and food photography,

It's quite difficult to capture photos, especially when game is on and every thing is in motion,

Thanks again,I will try to capture some sports venue

Level 9

Thanks for sharing, maybe I will try it oneday.

Yogyakarta Local Guides & Indonesia Local Guides
Level 9

magnificent photos @Christina-NYC :))

Connect Moderator

@Christina-NYC

Always fantastic articles and photos.

Thank you so much.

Bayern München, AllianzarenaBayern München, Allianzarena

Some people know this club 😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Wow @Christina-NYC

So colorful and I love this.

Thank you for the invaluable tips. 

Cheers

Level 9

Hello @Christina-NYC Most useful content Lot of information given us ...Thank for posting a great content....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina-NYC Thank you so much for your recommendations.@FernandoRonda Avatar@FernandoRonda Avatar

Level 9

Hello @Christina-NYC

Have a look at my capture 🙂

Maps Location of Kuala Lumpur Football Stadium