Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: How to take photos of monuments and historical sites

Hi @Christina-NYC

Thanks for such a nice post dear.

Level 10

@Christina-NYC This is one of my favorites, taking photos of monuments and historical sites. I am resharing few photos I already shared in the Connect as I am reaching the 1000 photos limit. If you like to see more photos please visit this Google Photos album.

In uncommon Angle, Kalutara Bodiya, Sri LankaIn uncommon Angle, Kalutara Bodiya, Sri Lanka

Cargills building...Cargills building...

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Ruins at Polonnaruwa World Heritage SiteRuins at Polonnaruwa World Heritage Site

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC02889.JPG

DSC_0246.jpg

The small tree supported by Gold plated columns is the Jaya Sri Maha BhodiyaThe small tree supported by Gold plated columns is the Jaya Sri Maha Bhodiya

Carvings on lavatory....Carvings on lavatory....

Panavitiya AmbalamaPanavitiya Ambalama

Wood cavingsWood cavings

FRont ViewFRont View

Level 10

Practically it's a nice post @Christina-NYC and photos are also beautiful. So many novice local guides like me can learn from this post. Thanks for this post. Here is some of my photos. 

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Level 8

Hi @StephenAbraham Anna..

Your photos of temples in Tamil Nadu is super professional and extraordinary.. I wish to learn about 360 photos and other photography skills from you. Thank you so much for tagging me. :))

Vellore Local Guides
Connect Moderator

Nice post and pictures @Christina-NYC

Have a look at this picture captured by me at Historical landmark the Gate Way of India, Mumbai. The Gate Way of IndiaThe Gate Way of India

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

Nice pictures @StephenAbraham

@StephenAbraham wrote:

Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple, Srirangam (in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu)

The largest Hindu Temple in India, and second largest in the world, second only to Angkor Wat (according to Wiki)

All photos below taken personally by me 

@JohnPeter @SalmaanN 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

hi @Christina-NYC 

i too love to take monuments pics 

here are some pics from my collection

Purana Qila , DelhiPurana Qila , DelhiPurana Qila , DelhiPurana Qila , DelhiHauz khas Fort, DelhiHauz khas Fort, DelhiHauz Khas Fort, DelhiHauz Khas Fort, DelhiHumayun tomb, DelhiHumayun tomb, DelhiHumayun tomb, DelhiHumayun tomb, Delhi

| Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless

Level 10

@Christina-NYC

@Thanks for sharing nice tips for taking pictures of monument.

@Christina-NYC wrote:

You can learn so much about a city’s heritage and its people when you visit a landmark or historical site. But the photos Local Guides like you take at these important places can help those who haven’t had a chance to visit them, too.

Last week, we shared that Local Guides photography is being used as an educational tool to improve the learning experience of young rural students through the India Literacy Project. The India Literacy Project uses photos taken by Local Guides to teach children about India’s historical landmarks. That’s because we showcase your great shots in Google Earth’s educational features!

This is just one of the many ways your photos can have a huge impact on others. Here are a few tips for taking your best photos at historical landmarks.

First and foremost, make sure to adhere to site’s policies

Many historical landmarks and museums have strict policies on photography. It’s important to understand and be respectful of the rules when you arrive. Some locations have ancient artifacts and don’t allow flash. However, they may allow photography shot with natural light. Some buildings are also religious historical sites, so it’s important to always behave in a respectful manner during your visit. Do research beforehand to understand the site’s policies.

Caption: A closeup of the tilework and archways at City Palace in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. (Local Guide Sylvain Magne)Caption: A closeup of the tilework and archways at City Palace in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. (Local Guide Sylvain Magne)

Take photos early in the day or at dusk for ideal light

Photograph early in the day or at dusk when the natural light and shadows will be softer. The crowds may also be smaller at these times. Try capturing your outdoor photos right after sunrise or just before sunset which will help your photos to have a nice warm glow.

Caption: A photo of the gateway at the Taj Mahal photographed before sunset in Agra, India. (Local Guide Alex Mijares)Caption: A photo of the gateway at the Taj Mahal photographed before sunset in Agra, India. (Local Guide Alex Mijares)

Capture the entire building in your frame

An important part of photographing landmarks and historical sites is showing people what the entire building looks like. Try stepping back and getting a wide view of the entire site in your frame.

Caption: A photo of the Tomb of Muhammad Shah at Lodhi Gardens in Delhi, India. (Local Guide Sher-Singh-Khatri)Caption: A photo of the Tomb of Muhammad Shah at Lodhi Gardens in Delhi, India. (Local Guide Sher-Singh-Khatri)

Discover the historical gems and architectural details

Have some fun hunting down the important elements of the historical site! Perhaps there is a prized piece of artwork, tilework, or an architectural element that has an interesting story behind it. When you’ve located the treasure, make sure your subject is the hero in your frame.

Caption: A closeup of decorative pillars in a hallway of Mysore Palace in Mysore, Karnataka, India. (Local Guide Aparna Priyadarshini)Caption: A closeup of decorative pillars in a hallway of Mysore Palace in Mysore, Karnataka, India. (Local Guide Aparna Priyadarshini)

Wait for WiFi to add your best photos

After you’ve snapped your great photos, save mobile data by waiting to upload them once you have a WiFi connection.

What are the best historical sites you’ve visited? What did you learn there? Share your photos and stories in the comments below and on Google Maps.

BM63
Level 8

Thanks, @StephenAbraham for mentioning me here, Great to see the awesome picture collection that you have taken from the historical place of Putrajaya. I guess that you had a great time.

Level 6

These tips can help even in shots of seemingly mundane structures and buildings. Find those hidden gems and architectural details. You'll encourage others to find them too and really rack up your views.