Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos for vacationers

I love to travel and experience new cities, but I enjoy it even more when I have a wonderful place to stay! The photos Local Guides like you share on Google Maps help others discover great hotels, hostels, or bed and breakfasts to relax in after a long day of exploring. But they can also give others important information that they need to make decisions about the best place to stay.

For example, a photo of a wheelchair accessible ramp at the entrance can help someone who uses a wheelchair learn about a hotel’s accessibility features. Or visual clues such as an overhead room fan, air conditioner, or windows that open can help those who are sensitive to extreme heat in the summer.

As you travel, here are some of my best photo tips for helping others find the perfect place to book for a relaxing getaway.

1. Use natural light

One of my top tips is to use natural light whenever possible. Natural light will make a hotel room look its best and illuminate your scene with a white, soft light. Artificial lights, on the other hand, can cast an unappealing orange or blue hue on your photos. To get the perfect lighting, shoot during the day, open up the curtains, and turn off any artificial lights in the room.

Caption: A photo of a hotel room in San Vicente, Chile. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a hotel room in San Vicente, Chile. (Getty Images)

2. Remove the clutter

Another important tip is to remove any personal clutter in the setting that may distract others looking at your photo. You’ll want the room to look clean and tidy, with the bed made. When I stay in a new hotel and want to share my experience with others, I’ll often take photos of the room firstbefore I unpack and make a mess!

Caption: A photo of a hotel room bedroom in Bangkok, Thailand. (Local Guide Baan Dinso)Caption: A photo of a hotel room bedroom in Bangkok, Thailand. (Local Guide Baan Dinso)

3. Shoot in a corner

To add depth and dimension to your photo, try standing back in one corner of the room and focus your camera towards the opposite corner. Shooting from this perspective can give others a good idea about the size of the room. Photographing straight on onto a flat wall can oftentimes make a room look smaller than it actually is.

Caption: A photo of a hotel restaurant in Bangalore, India. (Local Guide Flechazo Whitefield)Caption: A photo of a hotel restaurant in Bangalore, India. (Local Guide Flechazo Whitefield)

4. Look for things that make the location unique

What is special about the place you’re staying at for your getaway? Is there a garden where you can sit and enjoy your breakfast? Try to discover what makes the location stand apart from others and feature that aspect in your photographs. When traveling during a cold winter, I’m always excited to know if the place I’m staying at as a cozy fireplace or if there’s a lovely pool to dip my toes into during the hot summer!

Caption: A photo of a small garden with tables and chairs at Hôtel Henriette Paris in Paris, France. (Local Guide Lindé Davies)Caption: A photo of a small garden with tables and chairs at Hôtel Henriette Paris in Paris, France. (Local Guide Lindé Davies)

5. Capture the accessibility features

Another thing to look for is to see if the place you’re staying at is accessible for those that need the assistance of elevators, wheelchair ramps, and accessible pool access. Many hotels also have rooms with altered layouts and furniture to accommodate people with limited mobility. By taking photos of these areas as well as accessibility signs, you’ll be helping those with mobility issues know whether or not the location is a great place for them to stay.

Caption: A photo of a pool and exterior of Pousada Província, a hotel in Ouro Preto, Brazil. (Local Guide Fellipe Vianna)Caption: A photo of a pool and exterior of Pousada Província, a hotel in Ouro Preto, Brazil. (Local Guide Fellipe Vianna)

6. Explore the food options available

If your hotel offers food and you have time to enjoy a bite, don’t forget to take some mouth-watering shots! It’s great for others to know what the location offers in food service and also a good way to practice your food photography skills. Again, natural lighting is key to making food look appetizing. Once the lighting in the scene is set, then you’re ready to get different angles and capture the color!

Caption: A photo of a salad, juice, fruit, and coffee taken at Meliá Bali in Bali, Indonesia. (Local Guide Medoo Fit)Caption: A photo of a salad, juice, fruit, and coffee taken at Meliá Bali in Bali, Indonesia. (Local Guide Medoo Fit)

Do you love to travel and have a favorite hotel or hostel where you like to stay? Share your photos and experiences with us on Google Maps and in the comments below.

28 comments
Level 10

Re: How to take photos for vacationers

Thank you very much for this advice @Christina-NYC! I don't usually travel much, but when I do I focus a lot in the photos that place has uploaded in Maps! Specially when considering a hotel or a place to stay, it's the best way to know the place beforehand 🙂 Of course the reviews are also a big help.

I will take into account all of your tips for my next travel! I think it will be in October to San Francisco for Connect Live 🙂

Best wishes

Valeria

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 9

something we all love :))) @Christina-NYC

thank you so much for this helpful tips 🙂

Screenshot_20170721-212223.jpg

Wadi Rum Camp.jpg

Level 10

I also love to take photos from a corner with focus on opposite corner to make wide coverage. Thanks for reminding us the tips @Christina-NYC. 🙂

Level 10

@OSAMA where the second one photo is taken? It looks to be explained as I am curious. 😃

Level 10

Great tips @Christina-NYC. I will remember it in future. Here is some of my click. I don't know how is it.

IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1052.JPGIMG_1347.jpg IMG_1050.JPG

Level 10

My max travel backpack type but i want make sure my bed clean and privet toilet , cheapest hotel stay so not much high class some time stay high class to   . but focus natural view priority and try to test that area all local food . but try to share my few photos 

Darjeeling hotel room view out side cloud and only cloud 

Instanbul Hotel room 

Hotel Restaurant 

Love to stay airbnb house in long road trip 

Biriani in Bengaluru 

Street food in darjeeling 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Level 9

@MahabubMunna :))))

i love @SoniaK selfie with all of you :))

@Badruddeen 😉

Level 8

@Christina-NYC, @OSAMA, @MahabubMunna, nice photo shoots

With this, gives me a thousand reasons to love connect

Big shouts to the Connect Team and contributing members.

WE ARE RISING

kaliroalex