Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos for campers

I love to travel to the countryside with friends, pitch a tent, and enjoy some peace and quiet whenever living in my city feels too hectic. With summer in full swing in the Northern hemisphere, it’s the perfect time to camp and photograph the beauty of nature around you.

Whether you like to camp in a tent or “glamp” in a cabin for a more luxurious getaway, here are some useful tips for taking amazing photos. Be sure to share them on Google Maps to help guide others who love nature as much as you do.

Caption: A photo of a tent pitched on a mountain at Skolivski Beskydy National Park in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine. (Local Guide Anastasiya Izmaylova)Caption: A photo of a tent pitched on a mountain at Skolivski Beskydy National Park in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine. (Local Guide Anastasiya Izmaylova) 

1. Protect your gear

When camping, I prefer to keep things simple and pack light. Instead of packing tons of photo gear, I only bring my smartphone. Whatever photo gear you decide to bring, keep it protected and dry. I often stash my phone away safely in a small backpack when I’m not using it.

Caption: A back view of a woman backpacker taking a photo with a smartphone on a mountain peak. (Getty Images)Caption: A back view of a woman backpacker taking a photo with a smartphone on a mountain peak. (Getty Images)

Another thing to look out for when taking pics is to make sure to keep your lens clean. Dust and dirt can easily collect on your camera lens when you’re out in nature. A clean soft cloth can be used to quickly wipe your lens on your smartphone or camera before you take that next great shot!

2. Photograph during the golden hour

One of my top tips for photographing the outdoors is to wait to take your photos during the golden hour, which is just after sunrise or before sunset. Then, the daylight is a warmer color and softer than when the when the sun is bright at midday. Photographing during this time will help your photos have a magical glow!

Caption: A photo of a mountain and clouds before sunset at Rinjani Base Camp in Lombok Island, Indonesia. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a mountain and clouds before sunset at Rinjani Base Camp in Lombok Island, Indonesia. (Getty Images)

3. Capture the campground

If you’re staying at a large campsite that allows other campers to tent close-by, a large wide view is helpful to photograph so people can see how crowded the campsite gets. It’s also important to show what type of camping the location features—either existing cabins or spots to pitch one’s own tent.

Caption: A photo of tents on grass at Camping Amsterdam Gaasper in Amsterdam, Netherlands. (Local Guide Philipp John)Caption: A photo of tents on grass at Camping Amsterdam Gaasper in Amsterdam, Netherlands. (Local Guide Philipp John)

Caption: A photo of bunkhouses in the countryside at The Cowshed Boutique Bunkhouse in Isle of Skye, Scotland. (Local Guide Renee Hanenberg)Caption: A photo of bunkhouses in the countryside at The Cowshed Boutique Bunkhouse in Isle of Skye, Scotland. (Local Guide Renee Hanenberg)

4. Discover the activity clues

Are there specific activities available at your favorite camping spot? A swimming hole to go dip your toes into? A variety of hiking trails for different skill levels? Or maybe a family-friendly game area? Make sure to capture any helpful signage and activity clues that help people know more about what the location has to offer.  

Caption: A photo of a footbridge over a cenote at Cenote Yax-kin in Cancun, Mexico. (Local Guide Jose Antonio Reyes Rivero Borrell)Caption: A photo of a footbridge over a cenote at Cenote Yax-kin in Cancun, Mexico. (Local Guide Jose Antonio Reyes Rivero Borrell)

Caption: A photo of empty kayaks resting on a river in Nago, Okinawa, Japan. (Local Guide Fumitaka Toma)Caption: A photo of empty kayaks resting on a river in Nago, Okinawa, Japan. (Local Guide Fumitaka Toma)

5. Include a person or object to show size.

Is there a huge mountain range ahead of you? Try composing the scene with a tent or cabin in view so people looking at your photo are able to see just how big the scenery is. If you’re on a hike with friends, try photographing them from behind as they hike up the pathway. This can be a great way to show the environment around them.

Caption: A photo of the back of a hiker on a trail on a mountain range in Bukit Watu Jengger, East Java, Indonesia. (Local Guide Rilly Jønamika)Caption: A photo of the back of a hiker on a trail on a mountain range in Bukit Watu Jengger, East Java, Indonesia. (Local Guide Rilly Jønamika)

Do you love the outdoors and enjoy camping? Share your camping photos and experiences with us on Google Maps and in the comments below!

36 comments
Level 10

Re: How to take photos for campers

Level 10

wow nice . now i want to show my few with all other my friends

112.jpg110.jpg109.jpg119.jpg

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

Nice tips @Christina-NYC. Here is some of my photos. 

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

Level 10

The Gas Mountain team greets you from Andorra!Cabana Coms de Jan, Andorra.Cabana Coms de Jan, Andorra.

Cabana Coms de Jan, Andorra.Cabana Coms de Jan, Andorra.

https://gasmountain.com/blog/
FOLLOW ME ON GOOGLE MAPS
https://goo.gl/maps/nTobaEosxkmA1cvq8
Level 8

@Christina-NYC, thanks for sharing the good idea. Really it is helpful for all.

Level 9

Wow views are really wonderful @Christina-NYC. Here is some contributions in various places from me. Mohamaya LakeSitakundo Botanical Garden and Bhatiary Golf & Country Club, Chittagong.

Morning view of Mohamaya LakeMorning view of Mohamaya LakeBhatiary LakeBhatiary LakeBhatiary Golf CourseBhatiary Golf CourseTent for visitorsTent for visitorsView of Bhatiary golfView of Bhatiary golfSite view of Sitakunda Botanical GardenSite view of Sitakunda Botanical Garden

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 8

Thanks @Christina-NYC great recommendations. I will share some of my photos already shared on Maps.

Els Ports de Tortosa-Besseit, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.Els Ports de Tortosa-Besseit, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.

Pantà de Margalef, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.Pantà de Margalef, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.

Sunrise from Lo Serraí, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.Sunrise from Lo Serraí, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.

Cova de l'Església, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.Cova de l'Església, Catalonia. Photo by Francesc Domingo. Camera Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7.

Level 2

Nice pics Christina keep up

Level 8

Thank you for the advice.