AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to take outstanding photos of everyday places

We all have our routines, and the places we see each day can start to look a bit dull. But if we start thinking like photographers, it becomes easy to find the charm in our everyday worlds.

One of my favorite things about photography is that it teaches you to appreciate beauty in the little things around you. I can guarantee it’s there somewhere. If you can’t see it immediately, you might just have to look a little harder for it.  

It’s fun to look at the world this way, and sharing your photos on Google Maps can help others find the beauty around them as well. Here are three tips for finding the beauty in everyday places:

Tip 1: Challenge yourself to take at least one photo of something new each day

View of a fire exit door outside of a building. (Getty Images)View of a fire exit door outside of a building. (Getty Images)Colorful pots on shelves in a store. (Getty Images)Colorful pots on shelves in a store. (Getty Images)

It’s easy to take photos of the same kinds of places over and over, but breaking out of your routine can lead to amazing results. You might see a stairway outside a building that looks beautiful when it’s framed in just the right way, or a corner of a crowded store that gets beautiful light from a nearby window. When you start to point your camera around in different places, you might be surprised at what you can find.

Tip 2:  Find color wherever you go

A mechanic's garage with a colorful green floor. (Getty Images)A mechanic's garage with a colorful green floor. (Getty Images)A row of red shopping carts outside of a store. (Getty Images)A row of red shopping carts outside of a store. (Getty Images)

A pop of color can add a lot to your photo, and it will grab the attention of anyone sees it. It might not occur to you to look for colorful scenes at an auto mechanic or outside a grocery store, but these two awesome photos prove they can be found!

Tip 3:  Look for lines

The interior of a shopping center. (Getty Images)The interior of a shopping center. (Getty Images)Cereal isle in a Grocery Store. (Getty Images)Cereal isle in a Grocery Store. (Getty Images)

One of the tips I mention regularly is to turn on grid lines on in your camera settings. This helps you keep your photos straight, but it also gives you a tool that helps you spot interesting patterns. If you’re not sure what to shoot, look for lines! When the lines in a photo lines lead toward a central spot, like in the grocery store photo above, it’s called a vanishing point.

Tip 4: Play with angles

Several types of hot sauce sitting on a shelf in a Grocery Store. (Getty Images)Several types of hot sauce sitting on a shelf in a Grocery Store. (Getty Images)Colorful popsicles lined up. (Getty Images)Colorful popsicles lined up. (Getty Images)

Another useful photography strategy is to try unusual angles. You’ll be surprised at how different objects can look from different positions. Just shooting from above can change your perspective on the everyday!

Now it’s your turn! Show us what kinds of things stand out to you every day. Share them on Google Maps and on social with #LetsGuide, and link to your favorites here in the comments.

59 comments
Level 10

Re: How to take outstanding photos of everyday places

Hi @AnnaDickson I can notice this post is made of Getty images, and I can understand this is part of the recent agreement between companies.

Could you please explain how this could affect both worlds?

Anyway, I like the proposed theme, and I completely agree.

This is something I usually do:

Connect Moderator

Hi @AnnaDickson, thanks for this post.

Well, I love colors so what I usually try to do is to share the colors of the shopping:

Sporting shops are so colorfull. It is quite impossible not to take a photo (well, 9 photos)

Caption - How to show coloured product in a sport shop - Local Guide @ermestCaption - How to show coloured product in a sport shop - Local Guide @ermest

Murano Glass, is what you will find walking in Venice

Caption: Murano Glass in a Venetian Shop - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Murano Glass in a Venetian Shop - Local Guide @ermest

Fruits an vegetables

Fruits and vegetables shopFruits and vegetables shop

Colorfull Kitchenware

IMG_20180115_182015.jpg

Level 8

I like to travel and love to take photos. So i try to capture the photos of my every journey always. Thanks for sharing these awesome photography tips @AnnaDickson.

I will follow these tips ahead to imrpimp my photography.

Namaste, Niraj

Level 9

Thank you very much @AnnaDickson

For your great post iti really useuse tips 

Level 10

Wow @AnnaDickson Great Tips!

Thank you for sharing @ErmesT @LucioV

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 10

This is great @AnnaDickson! Thank you very much for making this amazing post and sharing such useful tips with all of us. I'll have them in mind next time I go "photo hunting" haha 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Very good photos @LucioV! You are indeed a great photographer 🙂

LucioV ha escrito:

Hi @AnnaDickson I can notice this post is made of Getty images, and I can understand this is part of the recent agreement between companies.

Could you please explain how this could affect both worlds?

Anyway, I like the proposed theme, and I completely agree.

This is something I usually do:

Level 10

You love playing with colors @ErmesT! You photography is unique 🙂

ermest ha escrito:

Hi @AnnaDickson, thanks for this post.

Well, I love colors so what I usually try to do is to share the colors of the shopping:

Sporting shops are so colorfull. It is quite impossible not to take a photo (well, 9 photos)

Caption - How to show coloured product in a sport shop - Local Guide @ermestCaption - How to show coloured product in a sport shop - Local Guide @ermest

Murano Glass, is what you will find walking in Venice

Caption: Murano Glass in a Venetian Shop - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Murano Glass in a Venetian Shop - Local Guide @ermest

Fruits an vegetables

Fruits and vegetables shopFruits and vegetables shop

Colorfull Kitchenware

IMG_20180115_182015.jpg

Level 10

@AnnaDickson Thank you for sharing

Very Good Tips

Follow me here.....