AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: How to take great photos in your favorite stores

Thanks for your nice tips

I use the grid on my camera all the time it really helps me get great shot it's really useful

Best regards 

Level 10

I enjoy these tips, as well as taking photos of interiors of stores, which apart from restaurants are the bulk of my views (especially specialty stores in shopping centres), so plenty of thanks for inciting a new challenge for us local guides to face this month. My focus will definitely be on photography.

In terms of the three shots:

• Wide shots: I normally only take these shots in department stores, larger sports stores such as Rebel, furniture stores and/or outlets, and shopping centres.

Not exactly one of my widest shots, but these stores are nice to hold and photograph.Not exactly one of my widest shots, but these stores are nice to hold and photograph.

• Medium shots: These shots mostly come from what I directly see as I enter the store or the vantage point that I see the most. I don't usually tend to take straight-on shelf photos of a place, generally speaking wide-shots are featured more often. But these are still... #shelfies to an extent right?

Examples of how I would take photos in an electronics store (Bing Lee), shoe store (Hype DC), fashion store and fruit market. They're still pretty wide though.Examples of how I would take photos in an electronics store (Bing Lee), shoe store (Hype DC), fashion store and fruit market. They're still pretty wide though.

• Close-ups: Your tip is a very new tip that I haven't really thought of before. I might try that sometime. I only usually take close-up shots of food. But hey that's not fair you have three hands, two to hold that album cover and a third to take the photo! Hehe.  

I've actually never ended up using the grid guidelines for my photos because I feel that it detracts from my eye of getting the perfect shot. Although the grids or the rule of thirds or even the golden ratio seems perfect to some photos, because most of my photos are isometric and usually slightly diagonal I don't have many a reason to use it. Unless a photo is extremely wonky and requires divine intervention, most of my photos are uploaded as is.

Excited to see what others come up with!

Level 9

@AnnaDickson  Thanks for the great tips

Level 8
Level 8

Great Tips.

10/10.

"The best camera is the one you have at hand at that given moment"  -Casey-

Level 6

that was really some nice tips. From next time i am going to apply those tips while taking a photo. It was really helpful. Thanks, @AnnaDickson

Level 2

Yay! What simple but great tip @AnnaDickson

I will practice it of course 🙂

Level 10

@AnnaDickson

@JeslynL

@IlankovanT

hi dear Anna 

The description is very good and excellent. I always try to keep up. And I hope that my photos will show with more chances

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2888917,59.6144583,0a,75y,283.5h,60t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAF1QipPCUEg...F733AA49-2BF1-4502-9F1E-5E795626ED24.jpeg

Majidmadsdi
Level 8

Hi @AnnaDickson

Great easy to understand tips and techniques. 

Thank you.

@AnnaDickson wrote:

Hello Local Guides! I’m Anna, the Photo Lead for the Local Guides team.

We really enjoyed seeing everyone’s incredible photos during Eat Like a Local month! For our celebration of small businesses, I wanted to give out a few more tips—but this time for in-store photos.

These tips work for pretty much any kind of business: clothing stores, boutiques, grocery stores, coffee shops, shoe stores, hardware stores, book store—anything you can imagine!   

Here are my top 3 strategies for taking photos in stores:

1. Lighting is key!

This is always going to be my number 1 tip for whatever you are shooting. Lighting is the key to all good photography, but you don’t need fancy studio lights to take great photos. Learn to use the light you have, and you’ll be in good shape.

Daylight is always great, which is why airy spaces with big windows tend to look so good in photos. You’ll want to avoid taking photos in SUPER-dark places, but if you have to, the key is making the best use of available light. Try boosting the exposure in your camera app to so that others can see the space.

Lighting is keyLighting is key

1.  Try a photo tour 

Getting the vibe of a place is one of the hardest things to do. You want to represent a place accurately through good photography and really show people what it’s like to be there. One easy strategy is to try a photo tour with three different types of shots: wide, medium, and close-up.

Wide shot

Show the WHOLE space. Get back as far as you can and really try to show the entire shop.

Try a photo tour: Wide shotTry a photo tour: Wide shot

Medium shot (or #shelfie!)

Get in a little closer and photograph a smaller area of the store. You can even try a #shelfie: It’s like a “selfie,” but of a shelf with items on display.

Try a photo tour: Medium shot or ShelfieTry a photo tour: Medium shot or Shelfie

Close-ups

Now, get really specific and show the individual products—whether they’re shoes, shirts, records, or something else entirely. When you share these photos, you let other people know what they’ll find when they visit a shop.

Try a photo tour: Close-upTry a photo tour: Close-up

1. Turn on your grid

Every camera has a grid. This feature helps to keep your photos super straight and really assists with composition.  

Turn on your grid for iOSTurn on your grid for iOS                  Turn on your grid for AndroidTurn on your grid for Android

You will be impressed with your much straighter photos and see some incredible results!

Photo using the gridPhoto using the grid

All of these tips apply to phone cameras as well as professional cameras. You don’t need fancy equipment to be a great photographer, just some practice and a good eye.

We can’t wait to see your photos! Remember to share them with #LocalGuides, because we’re going to spotlight favorites each week right here on Connect.

Level 8

@AnnaDickson

"Shelfie"... That's new for me.

Exposure is actually a great tip, every camera have this feature and we almost always forget to use it.Adjusting the white balanceAdjusting the white balance

Lucas Kellermann - Indaial SC
Local Guide & Waze Map Editor
Level 9

@AnnaDickson it's a really helpful post. Specially for iphone users 🙂 

In third world like Bangladesh even Mighty India mobile phones camera not enough rich like iphone.

But light is a issue indeed.

Love to see more tips for common mobile camera 🙂 🙂 🙂