davidcox's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How to make a Virtual Street View Tour With Gear 360

I am getting a Gear 360 and can not figure out how to stay out of the picture for street view virtual tours.  I can see from @LucioV's post on DSLR work flow how it would work with stitching pictures together the photographer is behind the single lens. I found the information on a pole 4-6 feet off the floor and going out of the room using the Gear 360 and triggering it. 

My question is when working on exterior shots outside in situations where the ground that is not level and some amount of wind is present, what is a stable way to shoot and not be captured?  I have seen the helmet mounts but seems it would leave a big spot at the base when you scroll down. I like the idea of a light stand with the thread at the top and legs in tight. But for sloped ground, there is no way to level that kind of set up. 

I have read that the posts that street view can be directly uploaded to maps via phone. So am stuck on equipment to hold the camera when it is hard or impossible to stay out of the scene.  

So am stuck on equipment to hold the camera when it is hard or impossible to stay out of the scene.  

I want to start with the Gear 360 with an eye on qualifying for trusted photographer, then buy Sigima 8 lens and rotator for my Nikon D7100. I know the options and quality will be much greater.

I have a lumber yard that wants a virtual tour because people do not see how deep the yard is. The front of the business is very narrow. It looks like if done right you can pick up the Google Street view and then a person could turn and navigate the views in the lumber yard. I want to do a virtual tour of a small Island that googles contribute is looking for pictures of.  I want some starter position to build on with better equipment later. 

I have searched youtube and not found anything on this with a how to. I am confused in trying to image it so my question is confusing.

Sorry in advance for the rambling question.

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: How to make a Virtual Tour From previously uploaded photos

Hi @davidcox thanks for your questions.

I use, for the Ricoh Theta S, a small tripod from manfrotto, that has got a little ball head, and a selfie stick on it, extending up to 1 mt.

whatsinmybag2016.jpg

You can place the tripod in slope (max 30°) and manage the theta to be horizontal using the ball mount.

Anyway, some all in one cameras, like the Gear 360, should have an automatic leveling system.

About risk of falling cameras... well, my Theta fall, once, using this mounting, and opened in three parts... it's still working, but maybe some lens adjust is still required, since I'm not happy with sharpness.

Schermata 2016-11-18 alle 12.09.31.png

This is the setup i use with DSLR, and Fanotec PanoPole extended to 3 mt. This is also a risky rig with strong wind.

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Hi @davidcox thanks for your questions.

I use, for the Ricoh Theta S, a small tripod from manfrotto, that has got a little ball head, and a selfie stick on it, extending up to 1 mt.

whatsinmybag2016.jpg

You can place the tripod in slope (max 30°) and manage the theta to be horizontal using the ball mount.

Anyway, some all in one cameras, like the Gear 360, should have an automatic leveling system.

About risk of falling cameras... well, my Theta fall, once, using this mounting, and opened in three parts... it's still working, but maybe some lens adjust is still required, since I'm not happy with sharpness.

Schermata 2016-11-18 alle 12.09.31.png

This is the setup i use with DSLR, and Fanotec PanoPole extended to 3 mt. This is also a risky rig with strong wind.

Level 9

@LucioV THANK YOU! Now I get it. This community is great. Have a problem it gets solved.

Level 2

Does the 360 camera qualify towards your trusted photographer certification?

In offering this to other businesses (ie. running it as a business), are you able to complete the full tour with stiching and navigation without issues?

@davidcox wrote:

@LucioV THANK YOU! Now I get it. This community is great. Have a problem it gets solved.

Look forward to solving this problem 🙂

Former photographer - now I do commercials.
Level 10

@travis wrote:

Does the 360 camera qualify towards your trusted photographer certification?

In offering this to other businesses (ie. running it as a business), are you able to complete the full tour with stiching and navigation without issues?

@davidcox wrote:

Look forward to solving this problem 🙂

Sure. Sometimes navigation errors occur, but usually in some days are fixed.

Level 2

What do you use?

Former photographer - now I do commercials.
Level 10

@travis wrote:

What do you use?

Actually a Nikon D500 + Sigma 8mm on Nodal Ninja R10 + Manfrotto 190 Pro + Kolor Autopano pro for stitching and Gothru for publishing.