MarkusKiili's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How to add a photo in Google Maps to not named place?

I'm nature and travel photographer, who goes very often away from roads and places not named in Google Maps. There is often a lot of wonderful places, which other people would also like to see. How I add photos to map, if there is not a place marked before? 
20161023-_DSC1802.jpg

Markus Kiili
Lapland, Finland
15 comments
Level 10

Re: How to add a photo in Google Maps to not named place?

This is something we lost when Google closed Views, sorry, but you have to attach a photo to a POI, actually, to be shown in map!

Level 7

Can I make a POI my self? Over here most of area is totally unmarked and often POIs are many km from actual location.

Markus Kiili
Level 10

If you think that some area could be added as a POI (ie a park, a lake, some other geographical object) you could try to add using feedback directly from map.

Level 7

Normally they are already named, but on blue text which you can't clic. 

Markus Kiili
Level 7

Ad a missing business, and wright name in Finnish, then they usually allow anything, or if you know the name of this area(or something close by).

I just removed a POI with the name "our meeting last Sunday"(in native language) and a few close-up pictures of tuned cars.

On request from the owner of this area, as it has nothing to do with his business.

Level 10

Hi @MarkusKiili, that place you marked on the map seems to be in (or maybe just near?) the Urho Kekkonen National Park. If it's really there, you can add the photo to that POI (i.e. no need to create a new one). 

Certainly it would be wonderful if the photos retained their true geolocation and it could even be seen by the visitor so they can actually find the exact place in case they also wish to visit it.

Edit: by the way, indeed a beautiful place and scene) and a great photo that deserves to be showcased on the map!

Level 7

@Csaba Actually, I just add Lapland for location and Google Maps put it to Urho Kekkonen National Park. 

Markus Kiili
Level 10

That's probably where Lapland has its center - I mean how it is marked in Google (each area that's marked has a marker somewhere no matter if it is the best spot for it).

Level 7

I just learned that if you make a 360° you can place it anywhere, if you upload it with street view app.

Freestanding 360 panorama