HikingMike's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How to Suggest Corrected Photo Location?

What is the best way to suggest that a photo's location needs to be corrected? Google Maps shows photos on the map at their "snapped" Point of Interest and not the true location if uploaded to Google Maps (more on that here). If that POI is incorrect, it may put the photo very very far from where it should be located. Panoramio had a great mechanism for this but I don't know what to do in Google Maps.

Here is an example of a photo for which I'd like to suggest a correction or do something so that the location is nearer the proper location. Right now the photo shows in the heart of Mineral King Valley (I know it well), but the photo isn't of Mineral King Valley at all. The photo is from far downstream of Mineral King Valley, in the foothills, and near a reservoir. It's terribly incorrect to put that photo there. I checked the distance and it's incorrect by about 18 miles as the crow flies, and much longer by driving.

Here you can see the photo that I am talking about. It shows it is snapped to "Mineral King".

Incorrectly located at Mineral KingIncorrectly located at Mineral King

When I click on the photo, I see that the user has titled it "Green Streams down from the Sierra Nevada, Lake Kaweah Recreation Area". That Lake Kaweah Recreation Area would actually be a good choice of POI. You can also see that in the 3 dots menu there is an option for "Report a problem".

Directly viewing the incorrectly located photoDirectly viewing the incorrectly located photo

Here is a wider view of the map showing the location where the photo is currently snapped to, and where it is actually located. You can also see there actually is another photo there down below which shows very similar landscape and view of that location near Lake Kaweah, and it is located correctly.

Photo location shows off by about 18 miles!!!Photo location shows off by about 18 miles!!!

So, how can we correct this? I know that unfortunately we cannot set the photo to the true location currently, only to a POI (I hope this changes). But the POI should be corrected to be accurate. I only see the option for "Report a problem". Is that what I should do in situations like this?

Thanks for any help!

9 comments
Level 8

Re: How to Suggest Corrected Photo Location?

Hi @HikingMike,

Regarding Photos in Maps:

1.  If the photo is uploaded by me

- I can delete the photo, and upload to another POI again.  (Lost all the original view counts)

2.  If the photo is uploaded by others

- I can report the photos, likely "not related to the business".

I don't think they are what you are looking for.  Sadly, lots of concerns resulted from the migration of Photos from Panoramio to Maps remain not addressed.

Level 5

Thank you, Sampson. I will try option 2. Actually first I will try to make a comment on the photo (from Google Plus version of the photo page) to see if the user will adjust it. 

Level 5

Wow, I see that deleting it is the only option. So I guess there is no way for the user to edit it besides deleting it.

I have commented on the Google+ version. We'll see if the user does anything.

Now I'll have to make a new post on here to suggest allowing editing of the photo's POI!

Level 5

Ok, it's been 2 weeks with no response from the user, so I tried reporting it now with "This photo is irrelevant to this business". I will check back later.

I also noticed that this shows up for the main photo of Mineral King if you search that on Google Maps 😕  Hopefully it will be adjusted.

This is not a photo of Mineral KingThis is not a photo of Mineral King

Level 5

I just came back to this now... it's been a long time. I see now the photo no longer shows at this location on the map when I enable the photos layer. Great. It seems that reporting the photo did the job. Of course it would still be preferable to suggest a proper location though.

But wait... when I search for "Mineral King, CA", that photo is still there (now as the 2nd photo), and it is still at the same location on the map. I guess this did not work after all.

I will report it again, and choose "Not a photo of the place".

Level 6

Hi Mike.

Read the last post about the new photo layer in GE

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/yDLD3TpS1WQ

It seems that the two team have different targets and ideas: coordinates vs POI.

😉

Level 5

@lpiazzi50wrote:

Hi Mike.

Read the last post about the new photo layer in GE

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/yDLD3TpS1WQ

It seems that the two team have different targets and ideas: coordinates vs POI.

😉

Hi @lpiazzi50 yes I actually found that thread a few days ago and am following it closely now! I’m glad you linked it here. I also made a post post on my blog - http://www.hikingmike.com/blog/google-working-p…s-panoramio-maps/

It does make sense with the two teams' objectives. I think both perspectives can work together. After all, Google Maps has already had photos snapped to POIs, and also photos at correct geolocation. We just need a way to upload photos for correct geolocation and allow snapping POI, but don't let POI override the location. And suggesting a corrected photo location should be a future feature addition as well.

Level 6

Hi @HikingMike

For the users it should be simple enough.The users can just load the coordinates in the exif metadata.

Google, that already manages this case with street view photos 360° (both POI and coordinates in the same picture), must "only" replicate it, using the POI in the commercial oriented screen and using the coordinates, for example, in Google earth.

The problem is that currently the GM uploaded photos show the POI coordinates even if the photo owns the true coordinate in the exif data.

So to change the setting Google has to re-do the analysis and rewrite programs. We'll see and hope.

Level 5

@lpiazzi50

I completely agree. We know there is capability to store and use coordinates. I have used the Street View app to upload 360 degree photospheres.

The problem is that currently the GM uploaded photos show the POI coordinates even if the photo owns the true coordinate in the exif data.

So to change the setting Google has to re-do the analysis and rewrite programs. We'll see and hope.

I think there is somewhat more problem than that. From the last Google Earth post to that forum thread, it seems that Google Maps does not store the coordinates. Of course they are contained in the file originally, and hopefully they are still there. But Google may not be able to use those coordinates--

Google Earth:

Accurate placement of photos and showing real GPS locations if available The majority of the new (non-Panoramio) photos uploaded via Google Maps and Local Guides do not have true coordinates/GPS coordinates associated with them in our database. During upload, the contributor decides to which point-of-interest (POI) it should be snapped. Even if the owner has enabled the saving of locations in photos on their phone (e.g. the setting on Android), they didn’t consent to showing this accurate location during the upload process. With our commitment to data privacy we don’t want to show the photo at that location without their explicit permission.

I think the solution is to allow users to enable location sharing for each photo with a checkbox. The user should also have a default setting they can adjust in their profile or app so most of the time they can leave the checkbox as default. This will not change previously-uploaded photos, but will help for any future uploads. I will post this in the Maps/Earth forum thread also.