Jnjoe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Happy World Photography/Humanitarian Day

Hello everyone today 19th August is celebrated as World Photo Day. But World Humanitarian Day is also celebrated today.

The history of photography has roots in remote antiquity with the discovery of two critical principles, that of the camera obscura (darkened or obscured room or chamber) and the fact that some substances are visibly altered by exposure to light, as discovered by observation. As far as is known, nobody thought of bringing these two phenomena together to capture camera images in permanent form until around 1800, when Thomas Wedgwood made the first reliably documented, although unsuccessful attempt. In the mid-1820s, Nicéphore Niépce succeeded, but several days of exposure in the camera were required and the earliest results were very crude.

Niépce's associate Louis Daguerre went on to develop the daguerreotype process, the first publicly announced and commercially viable photographic process. The daguerreotype required only minutes of exposure in the camera, and produced clear, finely detailed results. It was commercially introduced in 1839, a date generally accepted as the birth year of practical photography.

On 7 January 1839, this first complete practical photographic process was announced at a meeting of the French Academy of Sciences, and the news quickly spread.  At first, all details of the process were withheld and specimens were shown only at Daguerre's studio, under his close supervision, to Academy members and other distinguished guests. Arrangements were made for the French government to buy the rights in exchange for pensions for Niépce's son and Daguerre and present the invention to the world (with the exception of Great Britain, where an agent for Daguerre patented it) as a free gift. Complete instructions were made public on 19 August 1839.Known as the Daguerreotype process, it was the most common commercial process until the late 1850s. It was superseded by the collodion process.

Pc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myselfPc: myself 

World Humanitarian Day, a day designated by the UN to recognise the aid workers who risk their lives in humanitarian service, and mobilises people to advocate for humanitarian action.

World Humanitarian Day is the outcome of the relentless efforts of the Sérgio Vieira de Mello Foundation and his family working closely with the Ambassadors of France, Switzerland, Japan and Brazil in both Geneva and New York to table and steer the draft Resolution through the General Assembly. A national of Brazil, Sérgio Vieira de Mello dedicated a lifetime spanning over thirty years in the United Nations, serving in some of the most challenging humanitarian situations in the world to reach the voiceless victims of armed conflict, alleviate their suffering and draw attention to their plight. Mindful of this legacy, in 2006 the Vieira de Mello family and a group of close friends founded the Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation dedicated to continue his unfinished mission of encouraging dialogue between communities and relieving the plight of victims of humanitarian crises till this day.

pc: un.orgpc: un.orgpc: un.orgpc: un.org

Let’s celebrate World Photograph Day and World Humanitarian Day together by sharing our photos.

Content Source : wikipedia

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Happy World Photography/Humanitarian Day

Thanks for sharing this information @Jnjoe beautiful pictures taken by you. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 7

@NareshDarji

You are welcome. Why don't you share some of your clicks. 

Level 10

Level 7