Svendus-Panorama's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

GUIDE: Removing tripod and Fringing & Chromatic Aberration on THETA images with Gimp 2.8

Hi Guys here are a small guide
on removing tripod and Fringing & Chromatic Aberration on THETA images with Gimp 2.8

We downloaded an image from the THETA Gallery

and opened it in Gimp 2.8
Note! in Gimp you do not have to turn the image around 180 degree like in you do in PS

First of all Create a new layer group and add it to the image

You merge the layers at the end otherwise it will make your image a little bit blur
Thank to Melih Yalımlı for reminding me on this point i forgot this

Filter/Distort/Polar/Coordinates

Polar Coordinates Check Polar

Zoom in press +

Clonetool Ctrl click to mark the area (50size will do to remove a small tripod)

Go Back Uncheck To Polar checkbox

All Right the image has a lot of Chromatic Aberration so we remove that also

Get the latest extension pack for windows GIMP_Extensions_v2.8_latest on this link

sourceforge.net GIMP Extensions

GIMP Extensions download. GIMP Extensions 2015-08-07 12:05:21.715000 free download. GIMP Extensions GIMP Extensions Pack for Windows

to get this filters

Tips: do not install the Gimp Animation Package (GAP) if You have PS installed on your PC

the Fix-CA Plugin works best on .png and .Tiff images
when installed find it on Filters/Colors/Chromatic Aberration
find more documentation about Fix-CA on this link

Removing CA Filters/Colors/Chromatic/Aberration

Cromatic Aberation

Cromatic Aberation Settings

You Cannot save to .jpg in Gimp you have go to File/Export As

File Export As edited.jpg

Edited-90-procent

Finished image RICOH THETA-edited.jpg low Resolution

Regards Svendus

Långaryd, Sweden
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: GUIDE: Removing tripod and CA on THETA images with Gimp 2.8

Very cool @Svendus-Panorama 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Level 10

Re: GUIDE: Removing tripod and Fringing & Chromatic Aberration on THETA images with Gimp 2.8

I don't believe, @Svendus-Panorama that you only got a single kudo for this post (and that must have been me as I cannot add more just revoke the current one). 

I used your tripod removal part of the tutorial and it's so easy and simple, thank you very much! Here is a sphere where I applied it to: 

https://goo.gl/photos/gvKNb4hXumeigj9h6

To all the Googlers and moderators: these are the posts that should be collected into a "blog" (or similar) on the forum. The forum software's search function sucks and I had to search for the topic in Google o find it. There should be a place/section (not overwhelmed with "hi" and "hello" topics) where these gems are collected and no-one can post to but only moderators can "move" topics.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GUIDE: Removing tripod and Fringing & Chromatic Aberration on THETA images with Gimp 2.8

Caption; SS1 GIMP2.10.6 Polar Coordinates

Hi,  @Svendus-Panorama, a.k.a Master of Pano2VR. I've reproduced your useful guide with using GIMP2.10.6 the latest stable version.

Caption; SS2 GIMP2.10.6 Polar Coordinates

I always used GIMP and G'MIC plugin to pull off the nadir. Your method is much easier and more convenient. Thank you very much. However, removing tripod with heal selection is much better than clone tool. And you can overwrite the equirectangular file because GIMP2.10.xx can save XMP data.

Hope this helps.

Toyo

P.S.

I also use GIMP2.10.6 with Pano2VR Patch Mode. It's lighter and faster than Photoshop. Pano2VR never stops suddenly.

Level 8

Great i must say that we to day use the inpainting tool in the 360 funktion in Affiniti Photo 

Affinit Photo are running on PC ,Mac and even iOS (iPad Pro)