Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Four rules for value added photos

Thanks for that informative article

Level 8

Dear @Pea

Thank you for intresting and valid points. In some form, I was thinking about them when writing the article but didn't want to extend it too much. Let me add the thoughts now.

First question:

When a LG posts pictures to the map, where do you draw the line between being a helpful mapper and just uploading your personal esoteric photo album to the world?

The line is thin and blured and I don't claim to have the final solution. I believe however that if one follows the first two rules of being specific and precise and add a little common sense, they can figure it out in most cases.

Second question:

In your second photo on the right, I'm wondering if this goes against the photography guidance from AnnaD : "Users should immediately understand what they are looking at."  It's a beautiful artistic shot, but could there be ambiguity here whether the building in the background is the obvious point of interest or it's the ironwork in the foreground? This is just a question from a non-expert, not a statement of fact!

I think nobody is expert here and I admit I was intentionally controversial knowing Anna's post. I agree that "Users should immediately understand what they are looking at," but I don't think they need to see the whole of the building everytime and even less from a well known standard angles. (I disagree with the "seasonally agnostic" requirement too.) First, because they know what they clicked on, second, because they can (if available) see the whole in the Streetview and third, because they can scroll through dozens of pictures showing different aspects of the place and each of them can and should differ from others. That's how the contributions bring value and user value for me is the highest of principles. It's sometimes hard to obtain it and even more it is to force it. But I hope that the tips I shared can help.

Looking forward to hear from you again

Level 6

Thanks for sharing.. Nice tips.. 

Level 9
Level 9

@martinh wrote:

I disagree with the "seasonally agnostic" requirement too.

I share your feelings (as do others). It seems a strange rule which I commented on elsewhere, but it's come directly from a Google employee so I guess we have to follow it

Level 8

For those intrested in the topic: I published the promised study here.

Level 8

After a year and a lot of new experiences, discussions and also changes, I would say the most of what's said here is still valid.

Although it's clear that with the Google's policy is to have a solid input of up to date pictures (judging from how they value each and every photo, not just photographed location as before, and also they choose the most recent photos to display when there's lot of them available (especially more than 200)) and so it is basically ok not to be so much original. Even a slight change of the place in time captured in the photo has its value.

What do you think?