Rosecityteacher's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Edit Before you Upload: Photo advice from Level 8 guide

Hello Fellow Local Guides, 

Today's advice: take the time to edit your pictures before you upload! When I am checking out a location I can clearly tell what images come straight from your average cell-phone (which I generally skip), and those that will help me see detail and literally pop off the page. To do this, simply download a program such as lightroom mobile (my favorite by far) or even use the editing program that is stock on your phone and make a few simple changes that gives an average photo some wow factor!

• Straighten & Crop: Editing software often does this automatically if you ask it to. If not, go into crop mode and tilt the image so the horizon is straight or vertical elements such as pillars or windows align. To skip this step, simply activate the grid lines when you are shooting pictures and make them line up when you are taking the image! Next, crop out anything that doesn't apply to your photo. Leave in something for perspective, or some context such as the business next door, but take out empty parking lots, too much sky, or anything that doesn't help you tell the story
  • Highlights and Shadows (exposure): With a more advanced app such as lightroom mobile, or in the drop down menu from iOS's exposure, you can access two very important features: highlights and shadows. The fastest way is to drop the highlights all the way down and bring the shadows all the way up. You will notice the image will look immediately more professional! You can make adjustments by bringing the overall exposure up if it is too dark, or make whites brighter (for the more advanced users out there). Important note: this is best applied to landscapes and images such as business fronts, it is NOT for pictures with people in them - it will make them look weird! Finally, add a little bit of contrast to balance everything out nicely
  • Color and Clarity: Vibrance is an amazing setting to make colors pop. Be VERY careful using something such as saturation, the colors can very quickly get a comic-book appearance. Add some clarity to give the words on that menu or the artwork on the wall a little extra pop. 

You've done it! You took a stock image and gave it that professional look that people will flock to when they are checking out a location you have uploaded to. 

To get noticed, take the extra time, and the views will come pouring in!