JanČ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Defects in the Street View app AKA what makes trouble to me

Hallo guys,

my job is designer of web applications and I try do it always with high-quality of User eXperience (UX). And I like to take and share 360 photos via the Street View application in my smartphone (Sony Experia Z5 Compact - Android 6) and tablet (Google Nexus 10 - Android 5). Current version of application is 2.0.0.135406720.
I found following bugs and UX defects during using this application for almost 1 year so I want to share experiences to you. This article was sent already to support team of Street View apk.

Bugs

1. Saving of geo-location of 360 photos on the map
    When I use new connectivity editor (see tutorial) I can change the location of 360 photo - I can simply move the point on the map. So I set the photos as were really taken. That's fine.
    Screenshot_20161026-104612[1].png
    But when check them on the map in Street View I see that photo's location didn't change - they stayed untouched, even after 5 days when changes was saved.
    Screenshot_20161026-104657[1].png
    There is no location change on the Google Maps web also.
    c1.JPG
    I thing this is a bug, photos should change the geo-location as I relocate them in connectivity editor in the Street View apk.

2. Saving constellation of 360 photos in in connectivity editor
    I use new connectivity editor in the Street View for setting the photos as were really taken and connecting them. That's great.
    Screenshot_20161026-104612[1].png
    I save the constellation and quit the application. When I run the Street View apk again and open the constellation again in connectivity editor, I see the last saved status. That's OK and works as expected - but only on the 1 device. The photo constellation was done on my smartphone and if I open it in connectivity editor in my tablet, I see the original status before I editing any connections.
    Screenshot_2016-10-26-19-52-42.png
    And geo-location on the map is original also.
    Screenshot_2016-10-26-01-57-44.png
    I suppose that when I save the photo constellation (geo-location, view direction, compass, connections by each photo), then I should load the same status on all devices after. But it looks like that saving is performed locally on the used device. And that's wrong.

3. Portrait vs Landscape
    cannot see thumbnails of photos under tabs in my Google Nexus 10 in the landscape mode, see images
    Screenshot_2016-10-26-01-58-11.png
    But it's OK in portrait mode.
    Screenshot_2016-10-26-01-57-44.png
    And the behavior of application is absolutely OK on my smartphone.
    Screenshot_20161026-102608[1].png
    Screenshot_20161026-102557[1].png

UX defects

1. Small view of 360 photo in the connectivity editor

When I work in the connectivity editor, it happened me too often that I touch compass instead of view only. And that breaks the connection between 2 photos.
    Snímek1.JPG

I suggest to make a display area bigger.
    Snímek4.JPG

2. Selecting photos breaks a connection
    When I need to switch to an another photo, I have to click (tap) with finger on the point which represents a 360 photo.
    Snímek2.JPG

But almost in 50% I remove a connection line instead of selection the desired photo.
    Snímek3.JPG

My opinion is that the point (black circle with number) representing a 360 photo should be bigger. Or only active tapping area should be bigger. I thing it’s too small for finger tapping.

Desired features

1. Water-level setting
    There is no possibility to use a tripod for 360 photos taking in many cases of real life. So I have to take photo "from hand" with my 360 camera (LG 360 CAM). I'm sure there are no sensors for water-level recognition in my camera and meridian is not perfect in many photos. And result is, that view around the axis Y in the photo sphere is like sinusoid (up and down). 
    screeny.jpg
    So I would personally very appreciate that I could correct water-level (meridian) for 360 photo.

2. Web application missing
    I became the Trusted Photograph couple months ago and my only possibility how to publish and connect 360 photos is using the Street View app in mobile devices. But finger control of this application is not accurate and is not perfect for graphical editing on professional level. I would appreciate the web based application for 360 photos connection and constellation creation very much. I know that "old" Trusted Photograph have access to a such application on web.
    Do you have any idea if a new connectivity web editor will be released? And roughly when?

If you have found any other defects, you can describe it in this post.

Thank you

Jan Cermak / Prague, Czech Republic, Middle Europe
2 comments
Level 5

Re: Defects in the Street View app AKA what makes trouble to me

Hello guys,

I come with another significant bug in the new connectivity editor in Street View app.

When I create constellation of 360 photos like a simple path (just snake of photos, each photo is connected with only 2 other photos), the arrows are set correctly.

But when there is a crossing (3 and more other connected photos), the arrows don't correspond with constellation graph.The direction of view to another photos are mindlessly rotated. Hold on, I will find out it precisely and will attach the pictures.

Best regards

Jan Cermak / Prague, Czech Republic, Middle Europe
Street View Moderator

Re: Defects in the Street View app AKA what makes trouble to me

Hello @JanČ

I've passed this great feedback along to our product teams. Thanks for sharing! 

Natalie