OliverPeckham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Best 360 camera for quick indoor and outdoor snaps?

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of picking up a 360-degree camera for use in Google Maps primarily. My use case would mostly be taking quick snaps inside stores/museums/etc -- I don't want to have to do a tripod setup or anything, and obviously I'd like the photo quality to be pretty good. What are the pros and cons of some models? Any favorites out there? Thanks!

Oliver

7 comments
Level 9

Re: Best 360 camera for quick indoor and outdoor snaps?

Hi @OliverPeckham, I picked up the Samsung Gear 360 last month and I give it mixed reviews.

Camera quality is ok, but I was expecting better quality but it's acceptable. You don't need a tripod and I still haven't been able to link it to the Streetview app, I take pictures on the camera and import them to Streetview. If you ever figure this out pls share. 

Pairing it to the Samsung app is straightforward, but not always handy. I've found going to an area taking a few pictures and them uploading with phone is easier. Be warned the camera doesn't include an SD card and has no internal memory, you must buy the SD card separately.   

Level 10

Hi @OliverPeckham! I had the same doubt as you and I finally chose to buy a Samsung Gear 360 (2016).

I didn't have any problems (for now) and in my opinion it's a good option! But it's only compatible with Samsung devices (from S6).

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 9

@ValeriaA_, The Samsung Gear works with my iPhone. I can import photos with the Samsung Gear app. I just can figure out how to pair with with the iOS Streetview app. 

Level 10

Hi @OliverPeckham There are many models out there, but I woul recommend you to go for Ricoh Theta V as this supports the Street View App + the newest addition of the Video mode option on Street View. Ricoh Theta V is a good option for you. This camera works best with the street view app.  There is also another camera which is called the Mija Sphere this as an exceptional Quality but doesn't work with the street view app. Some 360 camera experts like @StephenAbraham & @LucioV can also share their suggestions with you.

Level 10

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far! I've been looking at the Yi 360 VR, has anyone tried that? I like that it's USB-C charged, since I have a Pixel XL.

Connect Moderator

@OliverPeckham,  looks like you are getting some great feedback on your 360 camera question. I moved your post over to Photography forum, where all the Local Guides shutterbugs hangout and discuss photo equipment and devices to give your question more exposure.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Karen

Level 7

I bought the Yi VR a month or so ago and here is my, rather unstructured, take on it.

• Nice, really nice camera has two lenses that cover 220 degrees each so overlap and stitch the overlap.
  • Great quality but only used the still shots so far but will try video as the weather gets better.
  • Comes with a nice portable tripod, battery, charging cable and cover.
  • Best to get a monopod/extender stick as well.

Using it

• I have been using the Google street view app on an i phone so shifting to the Yi was a bit of a culture shock as the iPhone and app sort of did it all.
  • You fire up the Yi and it then becomes a WiFi hub and with the Yi app on the iPhone you connect to the Yi and it becomes a remote control. You can adjust all the Yi settings, see the image and rotate it on the iPhone and take the picture or the video.
  • Once taken you then load the image from the camera to local , then from local you export it, which on the iPhone adds it to you camera roll.
  • Then then you open the Google Street View app and import the picture.
  • Then add the GPS location, then add the Google Maps location
  • Then send it to Google maps.

OK Sounds complicated but i can not do it  really quickly. Probably fast then using the street view app and taking 15 ot 20 shots, then stitching then adding location, then uploading. The Yi picture has no stitching either so is much better

I have not covered lots of things here, such as just using the Yi without on it own etc. Let me know if you are interested, Anyone, and i will write a longer Howto Blog.