TSCHAUHAN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

5 Reasons Why Images Speak Louder Than Words

The pen is mightier than the sword, or so they say. I don’t know how true that is, but I will say this: Pens are certainly a lot less intimidating. How about this next one? A picture is worth a thousand words. Ever wonder why that is? The first things that pop up in my mind are some of the more complex paintings I saw at a museum this past summer. Why, I could write a thousand words about a single painting easily!

Engagement

When you look at six paragraphs of text with no pictures, what are the chances you’ll actually sit down to read it? If you’re like most people who happen to fall upon your website through chance or a Google search, then you’ll fall into it is called the TLDR group – too long, didn’t read. If you were to break up the same post into subheadings with pictures, you’d be increasing what is called readability. The higher readability your writing has, the more likely your writing will capture the attention span of a random reader long enough for them to actually read what you wrote. What’s the point of writing anything if no one is going to read it? Increasing readership is one of the biggest goals

The Power of Visuals

According to marketing industry , the human brain can process images up to 60,000 times faster than words. They say that you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. You actually get a second chance to make a first impression, but that’s a post for another day. The point is with a picture, you can convey so much more information than you can with words. In fact, it can take a thousand words just to describe what is in one picture. And, pictures have the ability to convey abstract and complex concepts such as facial expressions.

Imagine the Impact

They say that scent is the sense that is most closely tied to memory. I don’t know how true that is, but I can imagine that there is an element of truth to it. What we’re talking about is not your sense of smell. We’re talking about your sense of sight. Pictures can instantly change your mood and leave impressions much faster and much more accurately than words can. Pictures can invoke feelings of happiness, sadness and others. Do you want to associate a positive feeling with the product you’re selling? Then insert a picture (at the end of your post) that invokes a positive feeling.

Pictures Are Universal

Have you ever wondered why children’s books are often illustrated? They’re illustrated because small children are just learning about the world. They have very young minds. Now, I’m not saying that you need to treat all your readers like they’re toddlers – just the opposite, actually. Pictures have a way of resonating with us – a way of allowing us to read in between the lines. They can set expectations like what you see in food ads. And, just like in a children’s storybook, they can help you tell a story. Storytelling is becoming a lost art. Be it as it may, storytelling is also a fantastic selling technique because it allows you to connect with and relate to your audience. The right pictures will only enhance that connection.

Humans Are Visual Creatures

Think back to your school days, when one of your many English teachers introduced you to the concept of mind maps. Visualizing ideas, especially in brainstorming sessions, can help you overcome obstacles that are difficult to convey in paragraph form. Need proof? Take a pen and paper out, and try to describe the shape of Brazil using nothing but words in paragraph form. Need another example? Infographics prove how much easier it may be to tell a story or otherwise convey your information. I’ve taken infographics and turned them into articles. The simplest of infographics can quickly turn into 2000 words or more when you simply try to explain the messages that the infographic is trying to convey. Here’s another exercise. Try to describe what a new color looks like using nothing but words. Or not – don’t do that. I’m sure you have better things to do with your time than that.

Case in point, carefully placed and chosen pictures can make you stand out or be ignored. If you’re not turning your blog into a visual masterpiece, you’re missing out. If you look at the advent of the Internet, it started off with more text than pictures. As time went on, people migrated over to images – where we are today.

High self esteemHigh self esteemManali to Baralacha Trek HimachalManali to Baralacha Trek HimachalParashar Lake Mandi, HimachalParashar Lake Mandi, HimachalRohtang Pass, Manali, Himachal.Rohtang Pass, Manali, Himachal.Himachal snowfall.Himachal snowfall.Khadamukh, Bharmour, Chamba,HPKhadamukh, Bharmour, Chamba,HPThe Ridge, Shimla, Himachal.The Ridge, Shimla, Himachal.Koteshwar Mahadev,ShimlaKoteshwar Mahadev,ShimlaKhajjiar, Chamba, Himachal.Khajjiar, Chamba, Himachal.Bharmani, Chamba, Himachal.Bharmani, Chamba, Himachal.Image4356.jpgHimachal Road Buses enroute Kaza.Himachal Road Buses enroute Kaza.KIds going to school.KIds going to school.Himachal Apples ,Kullu.Himachal Apples ,Kullu.LOcals folks drummersLOcals folks drummersCricket in the fields.Cricket in the fields.Waterfalls Chamba.Waterfalls Chamba.Courthill Shimla.Courthill Shimla.Shimla.Shimla.Local  Gaddi folks, Chamba.Local Gaddi folks, Chamba.Pathankot Jogindernagar Narrow Gauge train.Pathankot Jogindernagar Narrow Gauge train.Vice Roy Lodge, Now IIAS Shimla.Vice Roy Lodge, Now IIAS Shimla.Mall Road Shimla.Mall Road Shimla.Church, Ridge, Shimla.Church, Ridge, Shimla.

Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
2 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5 Reasons Why Images Speak Louder Than Words

Image is a global language. Thanks for sharing. 

Level 6

Re: 5 Reasons Why Images Speak Louder Than Words

Thanks so much for your kind observation.