DavidSofNY's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

360 photo not displaying correct orientation

I added 2 x 360 photos taken with a Theta SC to Google maps.  They had been correctly leveled and centered and written with XML, and they display correctly in my computer (Windows 7).  However, when I view them using my Samsung Android tablet, they have been rotated through 90 degrees and will not scroll about the correct axis.  Can anyone say what I'm doing wrong?

9 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: 360 photo not displaying correct orientation

Thanks for sharing @DavidSofNY. I just moved your post here on the "Photography" board as it is the best place where you can share all your knowledge, ask other Local Guides for advice or learn and share your tips to get the best picture.

Many thanks.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 7

Is this the only 2 out of (how) many?

If so, obviously something went wrong during edit, re edit spheres and re upload.

I got 1 sphere like this myself(PTGui edit failed), out of several thousands of spheres, not very common, but never from a Theta I seen this problem.

Sometimes exif data is lost during your process.

If this are the only 2 pictures you done this with, there is something wrong with your way of edit spheres.

When you say correctly leveled, is there a malfunction on your theta, as it can't level sphere itself, or where you moving while picture was taken?.

Level 3

PatricL

2 of 3.  I took them down today and will try again.  I suspect that the issue may be with the upload system.  I do all my edits on Windows 7 using Hugin and Pixlr and I uploaded these 2 directly through Google maps on the laptop instead of using Street View on my Android Tab.  For the other one, I used Street View on the Tab and that is OK.  It's just annoying having to juggle the uploads and downloads. I just wish that the fully functional Street View App was available on Windows.

My schedule is a little hectic but I should get around to reloading them in a couple of days.  I'll post again if that works   

Level 7

I hear you, google doesn't.

Google makes Android.

Less and less functions can be reached/used from windows.

I guess google want it to be 100% android based.

Force you to buy tablet phones and so on.

As they don't really got an OS that support graphic editing in high resolution, it's a problem.

And you only seen the top of the iceberg yet, it's more problem ahead.

I doubt very much that the upload is the problem, mostly it's a step in the editing that cause the problem you describe.

But keep up the good work! 😉

About the workflow:

I try to edit Theta images as little as possible, 14MP becomes even more blurry when edited.

If I edit, it's with PTGui and Photoshop. They cost money, but result is as good as it gets.

All you need is a good tripod that won't show up in sphere, leveling is automatic on a theta, no need to edit that part, done several thousand pictures so far, all with perfect horizon.

You can even hang camera upside-down and get a perfect level horizon, both on pictures and videos.

This allow you to use non standard tripods from different directions, not only from below.

Level 3

Well I solved my Android issue by downloading Bluestacks emulator to my laptop, which then allowed me to load the Street View Android app and upload directly from the computer, and the pictures display correctly.

Patching over the top of my head or the tripod is my biggest editing headache.  Not so much of an issue for outdoor shots but indoor is a small problem because of all the other clutter around, so I finish up having to put a logo on the bottom pole, even with my regular tripod.  I'm still on a learning curve and appreciating the positional nuances of 360 pictures which don't occur with a standard SLR.

I know that camera position is not supposed to be much of an issue but I did some trials with axis offsets (less than 180 degrees) and I'm not convinced that the SC has the gyroscopic correction because the pictures rotated around the camera axis not the gravitational axis.  In any case, there are some times I want to re-center the picture and Hugin allows me to do that and monitor the level at the same time.

However, my immediate problem is resolved,  thanks for your interest.

Level 5

Im having a similar problem as well. 

All my photos are shot using my Phantom 4 Pro Drone. I stitch them together with Autopano Giga software. I then upload to Google Maps. They display nicely via a browser on the Desktop PC. But when it comes to displaying the 360 panos on smaller devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S7 or Tablet, the orientation of my panos is just complety messed up. Funny enough they seem to display ok on an iphone.  Some of my earlier panos which have 1000's of views used to display correctly on these smaller devices but no longer do so.

Im buggered as to whats not right here.

Level 5

Oh well this thread is old but I am having the same issue. . some of my panos with hundreds of thousand vied's now are displayed  with wrong orientation, on android maps app    They are ok if using street view app or chrome browser    How to fix this without losing all the views?

Level 5

I now use Google Street View to upload my 360 panos. Uploading them via Google Maps deffinately does not work for some reason. 

Tried contacting Google about this issue months ago. Never heard back from them.

Level 6

I am finding the same problem with a brand new One X.  They display properly when viewed from a browser in Windows 10, but on my Samsung S7 the orientation or axis is all messed up.    Would be interested to learn how to fix this.