Omundu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

why my created places still does not appear on the map ?

I have created some new places and I have received confirmation that they are published already but it is more than two weeks now they have not still appeared on the map. "I was just wondering how long does it take for a place to  appear on the map". 

Boma Ng'ombe, Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
1 comment
Level 10

Re: why my created places still does not appear on the map ?

Hi @Omundu, not every place marked on the map will appear at any zoom level (or at all by simply zooming). Usually places of "higher interest" (probably including the number of reviews, the number of people uploading pictures etc.) will appear at more distant zoom level and places of smaller interest only when zooming in. Even in this case, some places may not automatically appear if the area is highly populated with marked locations and will only pop up when you search for them. 

Also, there are some sort of "personalized" results (just like in web search). When you have a tooth ache for instance and are searching for dentists a lot, chances are that dentists will appear for you more often on the maps. I visit churches a lot (because of my job) and often edit them: make the category more precise (e.g. changing "Church" to "Catholic Church"), changing their "generic" name (like "Catholic Church" to "Church of Saint John the Baptist") so these churches appear to me all the time when browsing the maps. But not necessarily to someone who is interested in different things. 

So what you see (or actually do not see) is normal. The software cannot display every POI at the same time and probably your computer would also slow down from so much vector data displayed. Once a place becomes known and more and more relevant on maps, these places may appear by simply zooming in, too.