iSmileS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

when is the google map update of 2018?

what are the timing of google map updates for 2018 or here after?

7 comments
Level 7

Re: when is the google map update of 2018?

Hello @iSmileS

From looking around Google Maps, I would guess every year for major Cities and areas and 3-5 years for Rural areas.

FYI that's the Satellite photo updates.

Level 8

do you know the timing?
Level 7

Hello @iSmileS

For my area it was last done in Jan 2017, so I guess for me it would be Jan 2018.

So when was your local City Satellite photo done.

Level 8

i think it was march

Level 7

@iSmileS

Ok, so at a guess it will hopefully be around March 2018 if it is every one year.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

Most aerials are not commissioned by Google, but rather Google purchases aerials when they are available for a reasonable price.  It is thus impossible to say when that next will occur; it will largely depend on when someone decides that they need new aerials.

My employer commissions aerials, and I can tell you that it is extremely expensive, so it normally requires a pressing business need have them initiated.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@Flash wrote:

Most aerials are not commissioned by Google, but rather Google purchases aerials when they are available for a reasonable price.  It is thus impossible to say when that next will occur; it will largely depend on when someone decides that they need new aerials.

My employer commissions aerials, and I can tell you that it is extremely expensive, so it normally requires a pressing business need have them initiated.

You are a wealth of information, in regards to Google Maps and other things.

Re. "when they are available for a reasonable price".  Would imagery become less and less costly to Google as time passes?

Re. "when someone decides that they need new aerials".  Understanding that Google's precise criteria and schedules for purchasing new imagery is proprietary info, what do you think would be some of the factors that would make it more likely that imagery for a specific region would be purchased?  Do you believe --I do not-- that Maps users feedback requesting new imagery is a significant factor?