RohithaF's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

how to map cruise ships

How do you map cruise ships; on board, berthing and in sail.

Oakville, ON, Canada
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: how to map cruise ships

Hello,

Cruise ships are not mappable features as they are mobile.  One of the requirements to be on the map is a fixed location that can be visited.

Another way to think of it is the fact that we map what is currently in place; that is to say we don't map historical features and we map reality even if it doesn't match the aerials.  Mapping a cruise ship found in an aerial would be indicating it's position in the past, and not what is occurring at the moment.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

@RohithaF, another great question. I am going to move your post over to Mapping Your World to see if what other Guides and Mods think of your question.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Cruise ships are not mappable features as they are mobile.  One of the requirements to be on the map is a fixed location that can be visited.

Another way to think of it is the fact that we map what is currently in place; that is to say we don't map historical features and we map reality even if it doesn't match the aerials.  Mapping a cruise ship found in an aerial would be indicating it's position in the past, and not what is occurring at the moment.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 5

Hi

This is of interest to me too...  We shoot 360s for a number of Cruise lines and have done for many years.  We've wondered for a while whether we could add a 'place' to Streetview, that can move over time as a ship does.

This looks achievable using the Google API:

https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/add-place

And then combine it with a Ships AIS (Lat / Long position) data.

This position could be updated (posted) at 'reasonable' intervals, so maybe every hour or so.  This would of course be an automated process, but it looks like adding a 'place' using the API requires 'moderation', that could be a problem or a breach of Googles terms of service...  Any guidance on this..?

David Woodward
Panoramic Imaging Ltd
My Streetview Contributions
Connect Moderator

As you suspected; the move of a place is a multi-day process and thus this would not work.