rathoresharadsingh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

can anyone help me?

How to Add a Place in Multi-Floor Buildings?m

And How to Tell Google Maps that there is an multi-floor building??

India
10 comments
Level 10

Re: can anyone help me?

Mark the exact location on map and tap 'Add a missing place' then add the details of the Place of Interest and specify the full address like in which floor it is; beside to or opposite to...

Here it is discussed how to write address of a place: 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/What-is-the-typical-address-format-in-your-...

Happy Mapping

Cheers,

Fazeel

Connect Moderator

Hello,

There is no option to mark a business as being on a particular floor.  Simply place the marker in the middle of the space the business takes.  For buildings that are on an angle due to the camera not being straight overhead please use the foundation of the building as the basis for figuring out where it is located.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Hello @rathoresharadsingh

Malls and shopping center have many stores in them and can have many Levels or Floors.

One way you can write the address for the place is.

Example.

Level 2, Chartwell Shopping Centre, Cnr Hukanui & Comries Rd, Chartwell, Hamilton 3210

Furthermore have you tried looking up the POI website for the address and how it's written.

Connect Moderator

Hello @GenerolHavoc,

Google Maps uses physical addresses.  For the address to be recognized by the system, addresses shouldn't have descriptive elements in them.  In your example the shopping mall name should not be included, nor describing it as being on a corner.  Normally you would also attempt to add the shop unit number, "Level 2" would only be used if that was the actual address issued by the addressing authority (usually the city or district/county).

So for your example, the address should be:

201 Hukanui Rd, Chartwell, Hamilton 3210, New Zealand

or if the shop's unit number could be obtained and it was 244, then:

244 201 Hukanui Rd, Chartwell, Hamilton 3210, New Zealand

As a note, it looks like one could do a lot of clean up at that mall if they're seeking something to do, many of the business names inappropriately include "Chartwell", many addresses include the mall name (and then right after the Google added phrase "Located in: Chartwell Shopping Centre", making it unnecessary in the address), many don't use a proper street address and many have "Shop" in the address when such descriptive words are not allowed, just the shop number should be included and nothing more.  I see a lot of shops don't have the "Located in: Chartwell Shopping Centre" phrase, for many this is probably because the system can't parse the address and thus doesn't realize it's part of the mall.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

@Flash

Thanks for that.

Not to sure who did them all differently ( FYI = I've changed nothing at that mall ) though I'll look into it and maybe see if I can get a shop number list from management or the information  center there.

Connect Moderator

@GenerolHavoc,

Most of the information on the map comes from sources other than Maps edits, so likely that's why you're seeing so much variation.  As each place was added, if the address was not in a standard format then it would have simply been displayed as is.  When we had more advanced editing tools we would see that sometimes the entire address would be shoved into the box meant for the unit/shop number, simply because the system could not figure out the components of the address.  This is then what causes things to not be noticed as duplicates, to not be noticed as being within a mall or other container, to suddenly (incorrectly) move when the system tries to geo-code a still bad address, etc.

It would be nice to have a system that accepts and understands all variations of an address, but they're simply not there yet.

Level 7

@Flash

Ok , It took some time though now all places in That Mall should now have the same address , though I can't add the shop number to a few of them until the middle of January when management can give me their list.

It's funny though that even the Post office / Kiwi Bank was labelled wrong as 189 Hukanui Rd, Chartwell, Hamilton 3210, plus on their own website ( I've told them about it ).

FYI = 189 is the Carpark for Chartwell

What was even worse is a few of the places where marked as being across the road (216A).

Anyway, Hopefully now most are correct, still pending changes on a few.

Level 1

Thanks FazeelUsmani for the "hack". 

I had the same interogation. I will simply add the floor level on the description of the location.

Anyway that can be a good improvement for google. 

Connect Moderator

@MarcD06, as I stated above, adding information that is not actually part of the address format that the Maps database understands results in bad data that affects other things.