RPaulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: attempted to remove an online only listing from Google Maps.

@Flash

quoted from email

"As far our policy goes, we do indeed allow business do add location descriptors as long as they are consistently-used and have a recognized real-world representation. In this case both "Subway" and "Subway Lowe's Kanata" is acceptable."

That seems consistent with the GMB naming guidelines i linked to earlier in the email chain except the GMB guidelines specifically exclude Containment information (descriptors) from real world representation. As in containment descriptors are never allowed.

Location information (descriptors) are allowed in a limited way for Universities and Hotels and any other business where it is part of real world naming.

Subway Kanata &

Subway Lowe's Kanata

are not real world naming and containment info is explicitly forbidden

not only that but the Subway is properly linked inside of Lowe's so the containment info shows correctly on Google Maps even if the feature is correctly named

The reason i emailed in to begin with is because the owner of the listing changed the name to something offensive because he was upset.

on the other side of things i got 5,000 internet points by correcting Subway naming in Canada. prior naming was usually SUBWAY®Restaurants or Restaurant SUBWAY or SUBWAY or the like. only 1 in 300 listings had any sort of location descriptor.

Level 9

on the subject of point building

i was happier when local guide was limited to level 5. when the levels increased a large amount of low quality photos started flooding my city and the surrounding cities.

a local guide was competing to get to level 10.

if i continue to correct naming of Subway locations in the USA i can easily get to level 10 during this year.

but i would never send in bad edits just to build points

id actually like it if the local guide team adjusted the points so less were given for certain edits.

Level 9

@Flash

the inclusion descriptors are not neccisary (feature is linked inside through google maps) and supposed to be forbidden (gmb guidelines - the expanded naming section with examples)

additionally this location is not in Kanata at all ( it is in Stittsville - part of Ottawa). since mapmaker closed i mostly gave up on removing localities.

Subway Lowe's Kanata
[Redacted]

https://goo.gl/maps/K7TEFKaKvBE2