RPaulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

attempted to remove an online only listing from Google Maps.

I was trying to remove the following listing

ArtMaison.ca
Etobicoke, ON
(416) 252-1076

https://goo.gl/maps/KGQLaR5Cwd42

online only

url as name

24hr

GMB posts are for online store promotions

this morning i got a hard denial on the edit.

non staffed online only listings have always been forbidden.

there is absolutely no chance that the location is staffed at midnight and no indication from website that customers are welcome to visit.

there is also no indication that picking up orders onsite is even a possibility.

The denial i received was manual and received several hours after my edit. As the user reviewable edit q is jammed full of garage door repair and locksmiths in my city it is more then likely the denial came from a listings editor or other google employee or contractor.

Online only stores are not supposed to be on the map.

12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: attempted to remove an online only listing from Google Maps.

Hello @RPaulR,

I'm sorry, but you might have misunderstood; failed edits are not escalated simply because they were unsuccessful.  You can read more in this pinned post.

Since I was able to confirm your information of this being online only, I too marked this for deletion.  My edit is pending.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor

Hey @RPaulR,

Thanks for raising this with us.

If this business is online only and does not have a physical store, then it should be reported.

More info can be found by following this link. On the top of the page the first paragraph - Summary, it is clearly stated that a listings should only be created for businesses that have a physical location where customers can visit.

I would suggest to report this directly on Google My Business forum.

Best regards,

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 9

@GeorgesHR

would it be possible for you to escalate the listing i mentioned to the appropriate team.

i understood that mapping issues could be reported here.

thanks for confirming that online only listings are not elgible to be on the map

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @RPaulR,

I'm sorry, but you might have misunderstood; failed edits are not escalated simply because they were unsuccessful.  You can read more in this pinned post.

Since I was able to confirm your information of this being online only, I too marked this for deletion.  My edit is pending.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

@Flash

thanks but the issue was not the lack of success

what went unsaid was when i tried to resubmit the listing for removal it was autodenied

it seems that the new edits were succesfull

please try to check back on this listing if you get a chance. i have some recolection of removing it during the mapmaker days

Thanks for the help

Connect Moderator

Included in the list of unsuccessful edits would be auto-denials; we can't escalate each denial.  I likely had more success due to my trust level; that's something that takes a long time to build up.

Even if my edit goes through, that will not prevent them from re-adding themselves.  If it becomes too extreme I might be able to get GMB involved.

Edit:   My edit has now gone through.

Level 9

Thanks again for the help @Flash

Recently the local guide team told me that containment and location descriptors were allowed on Google Maps. The issue was an edit war over the naming of a Subway (i was removing the descriptors)

I am eventually planning to make a thread on this but even with permission from the team to post about it - it may not be fully appropriate for this board.

If you want i can forward you the emails by way of bjc or you can reach out to me directly.

Connect Moderator

GMB not enforcing certain parts of the descriptor rules is nothing new, and all it will do is lead to an edit war.  It's not that it's allowed, it's that someone at GMB has decided it "Doesn't hurt".  The fact is that it does hurt, those of us that spend a lot of time figuring out issues can show that such descriptors do cause problems.  But that doesn't matter, GMB has made that decision and there is no use getting into an edit war for claimed features.

The rules are still in place, though, because GMB's lack of enforcement doesn't mean that you can now go around adding descriptions to places.  So the best way to think of it is that the rule does exist; unless claimed.

Level 9

@Flash oy veah

seriously i am a bit suprised

the email i received said something quite differant to what you posted but what you have written makes more sense.

anyways with my recent edits 98% of the subway locations in Canada have correct naming. only trouble point is about half a dozen locations that added back descriptors. Also its harder with the QC locations because some of them have 2 name fields english and french (both are not always visible)

consider deleting your last post if appropriate but i get the message loud and clear. im worried writing that explicitly may help encourage map spam.

quick heads up some people more connected with GMB (not employed by Google) are encouraging adding service descriptors to listings.

Attorney at law is not a professional title and i do not beleive it belongs added to practitioner listings for lawyers. Lawyer name only practitioner listings are supposed to be name only.

Connect Moderator

If someone at Local Guides is telling you differently, I'd suggest that you ask them if that means you can now quickly bump up your point total by adding location descriptors to tens of thousands of POIs.  And that if someone else can then come along and change them all to different descriptors.  And then a third person can change them to yet different descriptors....

I'm sure they'll tell you those are inappropriate edits and that doing such edits on a massive scale can put your account at risk.  If that's the case, then does the rule still not apply?

The Map Maker, GMB and Maps TCs (the Geo TCs) have been trying to tell Google for years that you can't have different rules for different people; that you can't say "Here's the rule for when you map, but it doesn't apply to other people and thus don't fix their edits, but it does apply to people like you so do fix their edits, but we're not going to tell you who made the last edit."  Despite the top users and community advocates telling them this, Google doesn't seem to understand.