Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

You can now choose the duplicate listing in your reports

Caption: Can you spot the duplicates?Caption: Can you spot the duplicates?

When you've spotted duplicates, before you would only be able to just report the POI that you would prefer to be merged to the other one. You weren't able to choose which it was a duplicate of. I have just discovered that now you are able to choose what the listing is a duplicate of. This makes it more useful for reviewers to get a better understanding of your report and see what needs to be addressed.

Caption: The process of reporting a duplicate listing and selecting what it is a duplicate of.Caption: The process of reporting a duplicate listing and selecting what it is a duplicate of.

Here's a quick rundown of the process:

1. Search and locate the duplicate listings. In this example, the Plumpton Marketplace on the bottom-left has 900 reviews and claimed, whereas the Plumpton Marketplace on the top-right only has 5 reviews, and not currently claimed.
  2. Select the listing to ideally merge or remove, so this will be the unclaimed listing.
  3. Scroll upwards and hit Suggest an editAs you can see, my previous attempt of marking this as a duplicate failed.
  4. Hit Remove this place.
  5. Select a reason and from the drop-down menu click Duplicate of another place.
  6. You will then see similar listings of the place. Select the listing you would ideally merge this duplicate's information into.
  7. Once selected, hit Send. You will be thanked for improving Google Maps.

Although you might like to see it being merged, it is at the discretion of the Google Maps reviewers to check your information. While we might not guarantee that it would be accepted, this gives us a better opportunity to determine which are a duplicate of what, and make informed decisions.

Whenever I come across any discoveries or changes, I'll be sure to briefly write about what I've discovered right here on Local Guides Connect. I've noticed so many changes and exciting bug fixes coming back from my slight Google Maps hiatus and when your feature requests from many months ago are fulfilled, it gives me a sense of vindication that the team is really taking on your feedback and being listened to.

Thanks Google Maps team!

I wonder if you have any change logs or release notes lying around when these small but subtle changes come by.

Information and previous discussions about this topic:

Indicating which place is the duplicate original by @MartinSolari

Choosing a Duplicate Place by @AtmaR

8 comments
Level 7

Re: You can now choose the duplicate listing in your reports

@TraciC, @GusMoreira, This discussion should be pinned to the top of the Mapping Your World forum

Level 10

@Briggs Awesome write up and great graphics! So cool! And I'm so excited for this feature!!!

Level 9

wow finally we had this long awaited feature 🙂

Thanks @Briggs for this very useful writeup. @Anonymous @StephenAbraham @AkmalB have a look at this amazing new feature, I'm sure you guys will love it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much @Haseeb bahi to mention me here in this amazing post, now i am going to find out duplicate places in my surroundings with these useful instructions

@TariqMahmood @HashimN @Dar @Justine2807 have a look at this news about Duplicate places

Level 10

@Briggs Thanks for sharing this.. This is exactly what we need. Will try it shortly. Thanks @Haseeb for mentioning me. Do we know if this is only on ios/Android/Desktop or available on all?

@Sariga @Midhunhk @nelsoncsimon @ArunMuralidhar @JoseVarghese @Shirni @PavelSarwar

Level 10

Level 9

@Briggs

Great news and was explained .

Thanks for sharing the good news . 

Congratulations Google Map for being active . 

It would be better if Google prevent the use of key words inclusion by claimed business . 

Claimed business name should be changed only on approval with relevant documentation copy only . Let expect one day it will come .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 10

Thank you all! Where I might not be actually informed, I'm always ready to dig into the program/application and unearth great things for everyone and anyone to use, writing and presenting it in a format that everyone can easily understand.

A massive thanks to @Haseeb for tagging a bunch of people. I never really tag people when it comes to things like these, but I'm glad it's come to light with you guys, I highly appreciate it.

@StephenAbraham, as far as I know this is only available on the Android version of Maps. I haven't tested iOS yet, but Google Maps both in-search and the browser app do not currently support this feature.

I'm still waiting for the Plumpton Marketplace Shopping Centre duplicates to be actioned, but I'll let you all know the verdict once it eventually comes by.