cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Wrong road name in google map near Vattiyoorkavu, Trivandrum

@AGN wrote:

Its been already two months

As I stated, the queue is long, it's about 2 to 3 months for many edits.

I see that the issue is now resolved.  This would mean that your edit made it to the top of the queue.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Dear @AGN already you have learn how to report it by @LucioV, @StephenAbraham, @GeoZac.

But @Flash give you the real scene.

Loooooong queue indeed 

So you just have to wait for.

Connect Moderator

@StephenAbraham, I do appreciate that you were making sure to only tag people in the area, but I would assume that if they had the necessary knowledge they would have submitted the edit already.  You tagging them and they then finding online information to confirm does not meet the critieria for them to submit an edit.  If they have diven this road then I would assume that as diligent mappers they would have submitted it without you prompting them.  Gathering knowledge from other sources is not permissible.

It is also not helpful to submit multiple edits.  The edit was delayed due to the queue.  You have now suggested they submit additional edits that will sit in the queue for 2 to 3 months, only to be found as unnecessary edits.  This both wastes those mappers time and also wastes the time of the Googlers.  Essentially, it does not help but what it does do is make the queue longer for everyone.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

Oh, i think we really should need RL back on maps! With their long request queues on official Map Maker forum. I think we need a RL for any city area of the world!

Connect Moderator

@LucioV wrote:

Wonder how Google may know if someone has got or not sufficient informations on a place. 🙂

That is not the correct way to approach editing.  You are given trust when you map, you shoudl respect that and follow the rules.

When I have been a reviewer I have been able to tell when people don't have sufficient information.  I will not be sharing the many ways that it is obvious.

There is multiple people that are currently noting that they suddenly have no trust under the most recent adjustments to the algorithms.  Pretty well every one of them has since admitted to violations of the rules that they make.  It doesn't matter how Google knows, the fact is that you put your account at risk if you don't follow the rules.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

@LucioV wrote:

Wonder how Google may know if someone has got or not sufficient informations on a place. 🙂

That is not the correct way to approach editing.  You are given trust when you map, you shoudl respect that and follow the rules.

When I have been a reviewer I have been able to tell when people don't have sufficient information.  I will not be sharing the many ways that it is obvious.

There is multiple people that are currently noting that they suddenly have no trust under the most recent adjustments to the algorithms.  Pretty well every one of them has since admitted to violations of the rules that they make.  It doesn't matter how Google knows, the fact is that you put your account at risk if you don't follow the rules.

Obviously! Always follow the rules!!!!!

I really would love to know how you have been able to tell when people don't have sufficient informations! Please, privately if you can.

@Anyway, you wrote:

"or that you can confirm it using the imagery that Google has supplied (aerials and Google produced Street View)"

So, if i can confirm an update request using Aerials and Google SV, may I say I have sufficient informations to submit request?

Connect Moderator

As I stated, I will not be sharing those ways; other than I will share this one.  If an edit that normally would only see one or two requests to be made suddenly has many people submit/confirm the same edit, every one of those edits is suspicious.

If a road is visible in the aerials and the name can be viewed on signage on Street View taken by Google, you then have sufficient information to submit the request.  It would be best to include a short link to the signage, such as https://goo.gl/FpLesj.

But if someone else has already submitted a request to add the road, you adding a request is not helpful.  These are not edits, they are requests for Google to make the edit and someone viewing a current request is not going to see the other requests.  When all those edits come up at once a few months later is when they might be noted as suspicious requests.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

As I stated, I will not be sharing those ways; other than I will share this one.  If an edit that normally would only see one or two requests to be made suddenly has many people submit/confirm the same edit, every one of those edits is suspicious.

Yes, but we don't have the Map Maker edit queue anymore, and, also when we had, was usual behaviour to ask for other mappers a thumb up on own edits. So, why this normal thing could be considered suspicious?

@Flash wrote:

If a road is visible in the aerials and the name can be viewed on signage on Street View taken by Google, you then have sufficient information to submit the request.  It would be best to include a short link to the signage, such as https://goo.gl/FpLesj.

We don't have a note field where we can add details on our update request, if I'm not wrong.

Too time spent on searching for "suspicious" activity...  while spammers are free to do what they want, also using GMB. We are all here to help improve maps, we should be work together toward this goal. Yes, I know, making changes on maps when you have not direct knowledge is against rules and potentially could break the Internet.

Connect Moderator

Yes, but we don't have the Map Maker edit queue anymore, and, also when we had, was usual behaviour to ask for other mappers a thumb up on own edits. So, why this normal thing could be considered suspicious?

Just because people did it does not make it the right thing to do.  It was suspicious behaviour then too.  

We don't have a note field where we can add details on our update request, if I'm not wrong.

You need to make that note when you make the initial edit.

Too time spent on searching for "suspicious" activity...  while spammers are free to do what they want

Those statements do not work together.  Spammers are not free to do what they want, they too get blocked almost every time.  When millions of attempts are made and you see a few hundred make it through, those few hundred do not mean that spammers can do whatever they want.  The way they are blocked is by algorithms and humans looking for suspicious behaviour. 

And suspicious can simply mean that a reviewer ignores the information as unreliable and goes looking for better resources.  It doesn't matter if 20 people submit the same edit to name a place the same way, that doesn't make Google suddenly trust the original edit.  If that place would normally only see one or two edits then it's fairly obvious that the extra submissions were probably not made from personal knowledge and thus should be ignored.  Google does not share if they take that even further; but I will say, however, that RERs used to be able to both mark an edit as approved/denied but also used to separeately mark the quality of the edit (that is, should the person be given more/less/neutral trust due to that edit).  I have no reason to believe that Googlers don't retain that ability, nor that the algorithms don't do the same.

Level 10

Update confirmation on Map Maker was encouraged by Google itself.

Was not a suspicious activity at all.

While making legit changes to place details, using well known informations as correct phone number, there is no place where write notes; I don't know what interface are you referring to.