HarishD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Wrong names of places around my area

Hi guys,

I am new to this community and would appreciate your help. Google Maps has got it all wrong when its near my place. The entire region is filled with wrong names of areas and despite my attempts to communicate this issue with Google Maps through their platform I have not seen any corrections.

So, please suggest me what can I do to make them correct it. I find handicapped to positively add to the maps as I can not endorse those wrong addresses all around.

12 comments
Level 4

Re: Wrong names of places around my area

At the moment, you can change the wrong names on Google Mapmaker.

Connect Moderator

@HarishD  if u see any wrong place or name in your area , u can correction them easily ..

if  your edits  is coreect it will published on maps after reviewed by your area regional leaders ...

make an edit follow my  step 

suggest an edits.jpg

then.....

correction.JPG

For more info about add, remove or correction a place ...JUST CLICK 

Level 7

Hello HarishD

i know how annoying it feels as i been at the same situation few times . as many people made an wrong edit name for the building that i actually live in. with wrong pictures  😄 thats is really annoying.

Anyway. you can do solve it by Your self and google will review your change then you will hear from them about that change you made

To Do That

1- simply open Google Map, Click at the landmark, shop, Condimnuom ..etc  ,that you belive its provide wrong information & click at Suggest Edit.

2-you can change Name, location on the map, opening hoursr & even add a photo of you like too.

As google review your suggestion. you will be notifed from them and can see your change approved and exicte on the map

@HarishD wrote:

Hi guys,

I am new to this community and would appreciate your help. Google Maps has got it all wrong when its near my place. The entire region is filled with wrong names of areas and despite my attempts to communicate this issue with Google Maps through their platform I have not seen any corrections.

So, please suggest me what can I do to make them correct it. I find handicapped to positively add to the maps as I can not endorse those wrong addresses all around.

Connect Moderator

I'm afraid some of the information above is incorrect.

We do not change a feature on the map to make it into another feature.

A place (or POI) on the map represents that establishment at that location.  If either one changes we mark it as closed or moved.  The Maps edits are just one resource that Google uses; the POI will be linked to many different resources that provide information about it.  If you attempt to change it to a different business or move it to a different location without indicating a move it will still continue to have the other resources feeding the old information into it, which will cause issues in perpetuity.

The Map Maker tool allows more options and those might be forthcoming in Maps as advanced editing is moved to the Maps platform; but at this time we would do the following when editing in Maps.

• If a POI does not exist, please create a new POI.
  • If a POI has closed, please mark it as closed.
  • If a POI never existed, please mark it as Does Not Exist.
  • If a POI is incorrectly located but the address is correct, make an edit to drag the marker to the correct spot.
  • If a POI has moved, the process in Map Maker varies depending on whether it is claimed or not.  In Maps you would simply mark it as Moved and let the reviewer figure out which process to follow.
  • If a POI is incorrectly located and the address is incorrect, attempt to figure out if the incorrect POI ever existed.  If didn't, mark it as Does Not Exist and then create a new POI at the proper location.  If it did, mark it as Moved.
  • If a POI has been replaced by another POI, handle each separately.  Mark the first one as Closed, Moved or Does not exist as appropriate; and move the marker if necessary using the above rules.  Next either create a new POI for the new place, or if a POI already exists but in the wrong place then apply the above rules.

I'm going to have a few of the other mapping experts read this over, as the rules for Map Maker are well known but I might have made a mistake when modifying them for the current Maps interface; I'll modify the above as necessary should they point out any issues.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 2

Hi fellows,

Thanks to all of you for the replies but the fact of the matter is that even today neither the issue has been resolved nor the Google Maps have made any contact regarding my edits. I guess they are in winter hibernation and even such an important matter which questions the very credibility of Google Maps (how can we have wrong names of places!).

I hope they wake up after these winters and look into the mess up they have done.

Level 8

Hi @Flash,

I need further help with  this:

"We do not change a feature on the map to make it into another feature."

What type of edit will change a feature into another feature?

Thanks in advance!

Connect Moderator

If a POI represents a certain place at a certain location, then any edit to make it represent a different place and/or different location would be an attempt to change make it represent a different feature.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 2

Exactly. And that's what I am concerned about. The names of places are WRONG and they do not let me edit it and they do not reply to my complaint.

@GreggG wrote:

If a POI represents a certain place at a certain location, then any edit to make it represent a different place and/or different location would be an attempt to change make it represent a different feature.

Connect Moderator

Then please read carefully my statement that you quoted.

The names are not wrong, because the POI represents something specific.  If a place closes and a new one opens, do not change the feature on the map.  That feature represents the old place and should not be modified.  That is why your edits to change it are being denied.

If you know a business no longer exists, please make an edit using the Closed option.

If you know that it moved, please use the Moved option instead.

If it never existed, please use that option instead.

Whichever option you followed above, please make a completely separate edit to create a brand new place to represent the new business.