LStefanoL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Wrong and damaging edits by google

I'm sure you people have encountered this too.

Google making wrong edits or even rolling back corrections which have been made.
One example? The following road segment: https://goo.gl/zMUAk5

As you can see i successfully inserted the missing street name (also verifiable by Street View, by the way) on Feb 10, 2016.

Subsequently i was able to correctly add a Pub location in that street.

On Feb 24 "Google" edited the segment again and removed my improvement.
Now the street is without name again, the pub has lost the correct address and it has been moved on the other side of the street. Great job Google!

HOW ON EARTH (it's maps really) is this even possible?

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Wrong and damaging edits by google

There has been a big issue with Google reviews taking too long as well as rejecting/deleting good data. This was highlighted to the team.

Level 9

I've had edits not get accepted before too.
I wonder if anyone disagreed with it and flagged it, although as you say it was verify-able via street view and there was a business listed on that street too so I don't know why that would be.

Level 5

Agreed. Google should really consider putting more effort and time into maps. Though they do a wonderful job at times, maps being such an important part of everyones life, Google should pay attention likewise. 

Level 8

@MarcinT wrote:

I've had edits not get accepted before too.

No no, i'm only talking about blatantly wrong edits specifically made by "Google" (as MapMaker says) to perfectly valid places and also roads.

Level 8

To be clear, it's almost impossible these have been made by someone. First because i'm practically the only mapper in my area and secondly because said edits make absolutely no sense. Like moving the pub across the street. 
This is why i believe they must be some kind of crappy automated thing.