Jake08's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Wikipedia article under wrong location

Is there anything to be done when a wikipedia article occurs under the wrong place?

i.e. There are two synagogues in my neighborhood, one a historical site and a new one named after the former.  The wikipedia page of the historic synagogue appears under the new one.

Is there a way to fix that?

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Wikipedia article under wrong location

Hi @Jake08, this is a perfect candidate for "sending feedback". 

1. While this company's map label is active, go to the top left hamburger menu and "Send feedback".
  2. A panel appears where you can select the bottom item "Your opinion about maps". 
  3. A new panel will appear in the middle where you can include a screenshot. 
  4. Click on the selection tool and highlight the wrong info (it will autoselect the whole wikipedia panel if you click on it). 
  5. Write your feedback explaining exactly what the issue is (include links and all if needed)
  6. Finally press "send" 

Here's a screenshot (note that I did not submit anything...) 

feeback.png

These wikipedia quotes are pulled automatically by the algorithm but of course, it may sometimes make mistake and there is a possibility to adjust them manually. This may take a while however as there is a queue of these things to fix.

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @Jake08

You (as well as anyone) can be an editor of Wikipedia. You can even edit without registering (or logging in). Please, read this article (about the benefits of creating an account and logging in while editing however): 

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Logging_in

I have edited a bunch of articles myself (in my own field, of course)

Level 9
Level 9

I could be wrong but I don't think the problem is an incorrect wiki page itself, so editing it wouldn't help. My guess is that Jake is saying when he searches Google for one place he gets the wrong wiki info in the right hand panel in the search results. Is that what you mean Jake?

Screenshot 2017-01-20 at 15.png

If my guess is correct, please link to both listings to test the search experience. If both places have exactly the same name it may be difficult to fix this

Level 10

Thanks, @Pea, it was not clear to me where the Wikipedia article is wrong.

Level 9
Level 9

@petocsaba wrote:

it was not clear to me where the Wikipedia article is wrong.

FYI the search screen shot I posted was just an example, not the synagogue in question

Level 7

Reviving the old thread. Take a look at this @Csaba:

This is a famous market in Jerusalem:

Mahane Yehuda Market
https://goo.gl/maps/MeJ2rBfDLay

This is a company that gives tours of the market:

Balishuk Machane Yehudah Market 
https://goo.gl/maps/Vxmpn18Tfg42

At some point they became conflated and the Wikipedia snippet for the market now occurs under the latter when it should be for the former. Anything that can be done about that?

Level 10
Solution

Hi @Jake08, this is a perfect candidate for "sending feedback". 

1. While this company's map label is active, go to the top left hamburger menu and "Send feedback".
  2. A panel appears where you can select the bottom item "Your opinion about maps". 
  3. A new panel will appear in the middle where you can include a screenshot. 
  4. Click on the selection tool and highlight the wrong info (it will autoselect the whole wikipedia panel if you click on it). 
  5. Write your feedback explaining exactly what the issue is (include links and all if needed)
  6. Finally press "send" 

Here's a screenshot (note that I did not submit anything...) 

feeback.png

These wikipedia quotes are pulled automatically by the algorithm but of course, it may sometimes make mistake and there is a possibility to adjust them manually. This may take a while however as there is a queue of these things to fix.