Şafak1's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Why some places are extremely clear, some places are extremely blurred in Google

Why some places are extremely clear, some places (eg, Turkey, Bulgaria) are extremely blurred in Google Maps.

This is particularly annoys users in Turkey. If there is a restriction by governments, the same restriction should be in YANDEX Maps, but unfortunately Yandex is very clear at the same points. Perhaps I see it from Turkey?

Places with Clear Example:

Parcare, Chișinău, Moldova

Sweden

Moscow

USA

Flu Places Example:

TURKEY

Burgas Bulgaria

G+ | My Contributions One day, somewhere to meet.
İstanbul, Türkiye
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Why some places are extremely clear, some places are extremely blurred in Google

Hello @Şafak1,

The name "Satellite View" refers to the fact that you are looking down like a satellite, but not all the imagery is from a satellite.

Being too high, even the best satellites produce an image that is blurry when you zoom in.  To get better imagery, pictures are taken from planes.  A plane flies in a grid pattern with a camera that automatically takes pictures spaced by a certain time or distance and then those pictures are stitched together to make one "aerial flight".  It is a field where technology is constantly improving, so newer aerial photography cameras will take better pictures than ones a few years older.  The price of the camera can also make a difference on how much detail it can provide.  And finally the height of the plane makes a difference.  When areas are flat the plane can fly at the optimal height, but if there are hills and mountains then the plane will have to fly higher to maintain a level flight that clears all the minimum altitudes (the lowest altitude a plane is allowed to descend in an area).  And even if an area is flat, to keep costs down the plane still might fly higher and in a pattern where the separation between passes is larger if there is no need for highly detailed imagery.

What this means in the real world is that the better imagery costs more.  Even poorer imagery costs a lot, and so aerials are only taken when someone commissions a flight, and it only photographs the area for which they have paid to obtain the aerials.

Google gets it's aerials largely by purchasing what is available after someone else commissioned the flight.  They then stitch those aerials together; which you sometimes can see clearly and other times the stitch can be almost invisible.  Your first example is the result of two different sets of aerials being stitched together.  @JeroenM was correct that because they are from different flights they will have different lighting and weather conditions, but also to be considered is they might also differ in many other ways including altitude of the plane, distance between each pass, resolution of the camera, quality of the camera, and finally the customer's requested resolution.  And then for areas where no one pays for aerials from planes due to a lack of need, actual satellite imagery will also be used and stitched where it meets aerials flights.

The summary answer to your question is that the map is made up of aerials from many different sources, and both the age and quality of photos in each area is going to depend on if someone had reason to commision an aerial and what they decided they wanted to spend on that aerial flight.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 8

Re: Why some places are extremely clear, some places are extremely blurred in Google

Hi @Şafak1,

Looking at your examples, it seems to me that what you are observing has mostly to do with the quality of the photos that were used to compile Maps in those areas.

Google Maps is made out of tiles and each tile is made from one or more satellite images that are stitched together.  As the images used to cover each tile were taken at different times, it is understandable that when having one tile next to another tile where both images were taken under different weather and light conditions (time of the year and time of the day) would explain the clear quality (contingency) issues that can be observed in (some of)  your examples.

Does that answer your question?

Best regards, JeroenM

Level 8

No, my brother @JeroenM, this should not be the answer to my question.

Will you look to Turkey link to Google Maps, please zooms in until the end.
You will notice that you are intentionally deteriorated.
Then look at another country, for example Germany. Zoom in the same way. You'll see the difference.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @Şafak1,

The name "Satellite View" refers to the fact that you are looking down like a satellite, but not all the imagery is from a satellite.

Being too high, even the best satellites produce an image that is blurry when you zoom in.  To get better imagery, pictures are taken from planes.  A plane flies in a grid pattern with a camera that automatically takes pictures spaced by a certain time or distance and then those pictures are stitched together to make one "aerial flight".  It is a field where technology is constantly improving, so newer aerial photography cameras will take better pictures than ones a few years older.  The price of the camera can also make a difference on how much detail it can provide.  And finally the height of the plane makes a difference.  When areas are flat the plane can fly at the optimal height, but if there are hills and mountains then the plane will have to fly higher to maintain a level flight that clears all the minimum altitudes (the lowest altitude a plane is allowed to descend in an area).  And even if an area is flat, to keep costs down the plane still might fly higher and in a pattern where the separation between passes is larger if there is no need for highly detailed imagery.

What this means in the real world is that the better imagery costs more.  Even poorer imagery costs a lot, and so aerials are only taken when someone commissions a flight, and it only photographs the area for which they have paid to obtain the aerials.

Google gets it's aerials largely by purchasing what is available after someone else commissioned the flight.  They then stitch those aerials together; which you sometimes can see clearly and other times the stitch can be almost invisible.  Your first example is the result of two different sets of aerials being stitched together.  @JeroenM was correct that because they are from different flights they will have different lighting and weather conditions, but also to be considered is they might also differ in many other ways including altitude of the plane, distance between each pass, resolution of the camera, quality of the camera, and finally the customer's requested resolution.  And then for areas where no one pays for aerials from planes due to a lack of need, actual satellite imagery will also be used and stitched where it meets aerials flights.

The summary answer to your question is that the map is made up of aerials from many different sources, and both the age and quality of photos in each area is going to depend on if someone had reason to commision an aerial and what they decided they wanted to spend on that aerial flight.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi and very very very thank you for your detailed answer @Flash

So also required some special flights in Turkey.