NoorulAmeen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Who is Approving Local guides Edits?

Hi

1.Who is the authority approving my edits in Google maps?

2.What are the criteria to approve edits?

3.Why my some edits are still not approved?

5 comments
Level 4

Re: Who is Approving Local guides Edits?

Hi @NoorulAmeen,

If Google Maps works the same way as Google Map Maker, then you'll find useful information here.

In a nutshell:

1) Google is the authority approving edits

2) Depends on users reliability, cross-reference with other resources, moderation team...

3) Depending on the edit, the time can vary (see in the link above "Some of such low-risk features(small roads, settlements, and businesses) are approved and published based on trusting the user and the high-risk edits(Freeways, Government institutions, Disputed areas and places) are done after looking for any supported documentation either on the internet or by further investigation using various communication systems."). Also, it depends on the aforementioned criteria.

Hope this helps 😃

Level 8

It works in the same manner as google mapmaker but with one big difference.

there is no conversation between users , i find this issue a major communication problem.

in map maker u could asked the editor for more infromation or adjusting it further or you could copy the link and post it on google map forum.

but now u just get bunch of card infromation that u can say yes or no to it only.

i'm still using mapmaker to make last adjustments in my neighborhood .

The Hague Local Guides Community
https://plus.google.com/communities/113132801025566159822
Level 5

They are approved by the regional leads of your are. Regional leads are the persons who are responsible to check and approve the edits of an area because they are much familiar with that area. The second answer, it takes time due the the long queue of edits waiting to be approved before you. Untill they are cleared you have to wait. lastly it may take time but wait patiently and your edits will get approved. If it is not cleared after a long wait you can contact your regional lead. 

Level 8

Hi there,

I'd just like to clarify some of the above statement. The large percentage of edits are reviewed by Google algorithms or employees, only a portion end up reviewed by Regional Leads and that will end later this week with the closure of Map Maker.

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 6

Great answer, I was thinking there was a person sitting behind a computer somewhere that gets alerts anytime an edit is made, and the person would verify the edit manually and then approve the edit. It does make more sense to let the computer system make the decision based on algorithms