ColbyG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Which public park listing is correct?

So I have 2 examples of public parks in my area.

1. Victory Park - https://goo.gl/maps/j93q1DKx1No
  2. Kish Park - https://goo.gl/maps/KLAHjNpiw5z

My question is, why are photos, reviews, not allowed on the Victory Park listing while Kish Park has everything? My assumption is that Victory is from a datasource that Google is pulling from. Is there a way to convert or change the Victory listing to allow pictures or are all parks actually suppose to be like that?

Thanks.

Lewistown, PA, United States
15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Which public park listing is correct?

@ColbyG,

Victory Park was created as a Polygon feature and we cannot add photos or write reviews for those features. The polygon is represented by the green shaded area on the map. Google may harvest pictures for those type of features from the web.

Currently, we can only add photos and write reviews for Point of Interest features, Kish Park is one such feature.

Curiously, somebody created a point of interest feature for the parking lot at Victory Park, and in such case it is possible to add publish pictures to it. 

The park itself seems to be much larger than the shaded green area on Maps based on the satellite imagery. Probably it would be a good idea to report it to Google requesting the correction of the boundary, if necessary, and asking that the polygon be changed to a nameless boundary and a Point of Interest be created for the park itself so it would be possible to write reviews and post to it.

Since it is not possible to send specific feedback for the polygon feature you would have to send general feedback, I do not know if the feedback would be properly routed to the appropriate Maps team, but that is all we can do at this moment.

From the satellite view for Victory Park that you provided, adjust the zoom as necessary, click the "Send feedback" link and select "Other feedback", and follow the instructions.

View solution in original post

Level 9

Hello Mr @ColbyG there are many pre owned business on Google Map so you can not add photos, reviews on these..

But one thing here,Have you tried old version of Map ?

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

Hi Colby,

Do you have photographs of Victory Park available that you want to upload?

Level 7
Solution

@ColbyG,

Victory Park was created as a Polygon feature and we cannot add photos or write reviews for those features. The polygon is represented by the green shaded area on the map. Google may harvest pictures for those type of features from the web.

Currently, we can only add photos and write reviews for Point of Interest features, Kish Park is one such feature.

Curiously, somebody created a point of interest feature for the parking lot at Victory Park, and in such case it is possible to add publish pictures to it. 

The park itself seems to be much larger than the shaded green area on Maps based on the satellite imagery. Probably it would be a good idea to report it to Google requesting the correction of the boundary, if necessary, and asking that the polygon be changed to a nameless boundary and a Point of Interest be created for the park itself so it would be possible to write reviews and post to it.

Since it is not possible to send specific feedback for the polygon feature you would have to send general feedback, I do not know if the feedback would be properly routed to the appropriate Maps team, but that is all we can do at this moment.

From the satellite view for Victory Park that you provided, adjust the zoom as necessary, click the "Send feedback" link and select "Other feedback", and follow the instructions.

Level 7

yes I have photos and was planning on doing more.

Level 7

@magrippa thanks, that is what I figured and great overview of the differences. The park is intend much bigger and I will do the report feature. Maybe there is someone on the team that I can reach if it remains unresolved for a couple months.

Level 10

@ColbyG wrote:

yes I have photos and was planning on doing more.

Hi ColbyG,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I added a point to the park boundary through an alternative method which enabled photos (and reviews) to be uploaded. I tested it by uploading the photo of the sign that currently appears.  That test-photograph is not my photograph and I will be removing it very soon -- my thought was as soon as you uploaded photos I would remove it.  However, it looks like the point did not endure and will need to be requested via the "send feedback" feature requesting a point (pin/POI) be addd to the park boundary.

Level 10

Hello ColbyG,

Oddly enough the point no longer shows on Maps-desktop (Mac) but does show on mobile (iOS). On mobile, the option to "Add a photo" is there.

I also, btw, added a review of the park when I uploaded the test photo.  The review displayed after I uploaded it -- however it no longer displays, and the option to "Add a review" never appeared. The review still shows in "My Contributions".

Connect Moderator

Hi @MapWrangler,

I'm unclear which method you've used, but "alternative" normally means "a workaround".  The only workarounds that should be used on the map are ones that are OK'd by Google, as others will cause data issues.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Hi Flash,

Yes, this certainly does sound like a workaround -- but I think (hope, anyway) that 'alternative' is a more accurate word 😉  As you know, I, along with thousands of others have been at the effect of bad data in trying to make edits in the past.

You no doubt know that some/many (all?) boundaries without points (POIs) appear on Google Search in the Knowledge Panel with the option/invitation to "Add a photo", as well as "Write a review".  (Screenshot)

This was one of those "someday/maybe" things I was gonna check out one/some day as it didn't make sense that one could add photos and/or reviews to something that wasn't a point.

So when this question/topic (Victory Park) appeared I decided to check it out to see what happened if I tried to add a photo and/or a review.

The results were as I've previously mentioned.  The test photo did appear (and continues to display). Later, perhaps the next day, I noticed that Google had added (I think) a point to the Victory Park boundary on Maps (desktop), and the invitation was there to "Add a Photo".

I added a review -- twice actually (the first was woefully short on info, and mentioned that it was a "test review".)  At some point later (many hours or the next day) I noted that the review wasn't there.  I later added another one, which displayed for some unknown amount of time -- but no longer does., although it remains in "My Contributions".

The point also displayed for at least a couple of days (desktop) but stopped.  It was last night that I noticed that what might have been a point still displays on mobile. As it doesn't display an icon/marker, I think it is not a point on mobile.  (Checking just now, it is the same on mobile iOS, with the latest update of Maps (from yesterday).

The invitation to "Add a photo", however, does appear on mobile.

Interestingly, the test photo I uploaded via the Knowledge Panel still displays.

So that's the result of my experiment.  It appears that 

(1) The invitation to "Add a photo" and "Write a review" need to be removed from Search results (desktop)

(2) "Add a photo" needs to be removed from Search results (mobile)

(3) "Add a photo" removed from Map results in mobile.

Victory Park • Lewistown • PennsylvaniaVictory Park • Lewistown • Pennsylvania

Reference:

Desktop: Mac OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.6

Safari browser Ver 10.1.1

Chrome browser Ver 59.0.3071.86 (64-bit)

Firefox browser Ver 54.0 (64-bit)

Mobile:  iOS 10.3.3 Public Beta

Google Ver 28.0.157793287

Google Maps Ver 4.32.1002