Uttam's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What to do when my genuine edit / correction is "NOT APPLIED"

Dear Friends,

I tried to correct the location and name of a place - and I am 100% sure that my edit is genuine. However, the edit gets instantly "Not Applied". What should I do in this case? I am not able to accept that there is a place with wrong information and I am not able to correct the same. What else can I do to get the wrong information corrected?

The place in question is a place with name "Airtel Show Room". Official Airtel calls its outlets as "Airtel Store", "Airtel Show Room" is wrong. I suggested this edit but it got "Not APPLIED" instantly. Also, the location market is inaccurately placed, tried to correct.. no go.. instant "NOT APPLIED".

Kind Regards, Uttam

Airtel Show Room, Neeladri Road, Karuna Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
11 comments
Level 10

Re: What to do when my genuine edit / correction is "NOT APPLIED"

Hi @Uttam could you please share more info on this place?

The main reason is that could be a claimed business: if the place is this https://goo.gl/maps/j2Rk6GypUYK2 it's not claimed, so we should look into something else.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

"Store" would also not be allowed, that is a descriptive word, not an actual part of the name.

This is demonstrated when you look at Street View for the store, notice that it just says "Airtel" on the exterior.

I believe your edit was being rejected due to it having a descriptive word.  I have made an edit to change it to just "Airtel", and that edit is now pending review by Google.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 1

Hi! When having this problem recently, I found that I was able to add the words that I needed to my message dictionary and have not had a problem with adding new words so that they are not auto-corrected! Good luck!

@Uttam wrote:

Dear Friends,

I tried to correct the location and name of a place - and I am 100% sure that my edit is genuine. However, the edit gets instantly "Not Applied". What should I do in this case? I am not able to accept that there is a place with wrong information and I am not able to correct the same. What else can I do to get the wrong information corrected?

The place in question is a place with name "Airtel Show Room". Official Airtel calls its outlets as "Airtel Store", "Airtel Show Room" is wrong. I suggested this edit but it got "Not APPLIED" instantly. Also, the location market is inaccurately placed, tried to correct.. no go.. instant "NOT APPLIED".

Kind Regards, Uttam

Level 10

Hi @Uttam.

What I do for this case is edit it one more time (sime time even more) and give Feedback at bellow your contribution and make some explanation.

Hope you can try it.

Regard

Budi

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 7

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried the edit multiple times but no luck 😞

How to I give feedback? I could not find any place to provide any comments or justification for my edits. There is only option to add photos or update fields such as working hours, web site etc.

Kind Regards, Uttam

Level 7

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, this is the place and it seems it is not a claimed business because I see the option to "Claim this business".

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards, Uttam

Level 7

Hello!

Thanks for you reply, 

However, Airtel does official calls its outlets as Airtel Store. You can check here: https://www.airtel.in/store/

So that is what I was trying to do.. change it to the official name used by the company. 

Kind Regards, Uttam

Connect Moderator

I'm afraid that I don't see anything on that page that indicates that Store is part of the name.  The logo in the top left of the page shows the name to just be Airtel.

On the map we are not attempting to enter the official name, but rather the normal, everyday name.  There is a place to enter the official name, but it is not currently available to us to edit via Maps.  What we are editing is instead called the Primary name.  The primary name is the everyday, common name of the company; and in general will match the sign (minus any bylines, tags and descriptions; which normally can be identified by being in a different size and/or colour than the name), what would be said on the phone, what you would say to someone else, etc.  Signage is a big one; in this case the signage clearly says just "Airtel".

The actual rule about descriptors is that they should only be included if they are in integral part of the name.  That means there is no way you could say the name without it and have what you say make sense.  "Welcome to Airtel" could be the way you are greeted as you enter, and it would make sense.  "Airtel" is all that is on the sign, and it makes sense.  "Switch to Airtel" is on their website, and it makes sense.  "Store" is thus a descriptor that is not an integral part of the name.

For companies with multiple sites, usually they should all have identical names.  Stating that this is an Airtel store is adding "store" as a descriptor to distinguish it from an Airtel office, an Airtel maintenance yard, etc.  Every one of those places should all be named the same, simply "Airtel"; with no descriptor added to distinguish the type of site.  It is the categories where you distinguish the type.

You asked what you should do next; in this case nothing is necessary.  As I stated, I submitted an edit that put the name to just "Airtel".  As I did not have descriptors in the name, my edit was not rejected, and it is now awaiting approval.  You can, however, feel free to apply the same edit to their many other locations.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

Hello,

I wanted to update you to let you know that my edit was just approved.