zdoshi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

What's needed to publish historical landmarks?

I have submitted several historical landmarks in my area. All these places have entries in Wikipedia but have official links that I can use from a government source. Some of these building now have non-related business inside them. Submitting them is weird. Some get approved, some don't. There's no clear trend why. What's happening?

1 comment
Connect Moderator

Re: What's needed to publish historical landmarks?

Hello,

I'm of course unsure what has occured with the edits you have made, but usually the issue with historical landmarks that people encounter is that it should always be something that currently exists.  The map is not somewhere to record history, but is rather a place to record what is currently to be found.

So to give some examples:

• the site of a battle would not be mappable, but a plaque commemorating the battle erected at that location could be mapped as a historical landmark.
  • a 200 year old school that has been preserved to show what schools looked like at the time could be mapped, but a building that held the school 200 years ago but is now offices would not be mappable as a historical landmark.
  • the site of a village that no longer exists is not mappable, but a village kept intact as it was centuries ago in order for it to be visited could be mapped.

These examples are for the current time where we can only add or edit the primary category of a place; sometimes historical landmark might not be appropriate as the primary category but might be as a secondary one.  For example, Buckingham Palace should not have historical landmark as the main category, but it would be appropriate as a secondary category.  This is important because in my above examples the village might be better mapped as a museum as the primary category.  Even the school might be better as a museum.  It would really depend on the individual, real life example.

Also, please be aware that a link should not be about a place, but rather should belong to a place.  So a government website for the place should only be used if the government owns or operates the place and the website is the official site for the place.  If there is no website that actually belongs to the place then leave that field blank.

To better help you, could you give us the details of some of the places you have mapped using that category and some that were denied?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages