YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: What is the typical address format in your region?

Ahh I see that clears things up. 

In the spirit of the thread though, this is the expected and legally accepted address format used in Singapore. 

I type out thousands of these during my time as a legal secretary aka glorified postal worker. 

Many Singaporean Places all over the country are also edited to use this format. So its not one person's work. This is our address format and probably a local quirk that everyone else is just as meticulous about LGing.

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com
Connect Moderator

Custom addressing by country might be a future update, but considering how many countries there are it would take massive work to implement.  Right now Google uses the most common and logical addressing format in the world, which is?

XXX  YYYYY  StreetName

Neighbourhood, City, District/County, State/Province, Country, PostalCode

With XXX representing a suite/unit/shop/etc. number and YYYYY representing the street (house) number.

Basically it is from smallest to largest.  For some countries Maps can parse or display these numbers in a different order, but they are stored within the system in that order.  Extra information beyond those fields is not recognized, and might even cause issues as it will sometimes be shoved into the XXX field in storage and confuse the system.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Thank you very much for your insights, @Flash!

I want to know further:

1.  As the Maps input field is a Single Free text box, so based on the example:

"XXX,  YYYYY,  StreetName, Neighbourhood, City, District/County, State/Province, Country, PostalCode"

* should I put ',' between:-

- XXX  YYYY

- YYYY  StreetName

- StreetName  Neighbourhood

2.  For the XXX part

- Can it contain further ',', space, etc?

- Can I put something like this "Unit A, 56th Floor, Taipei 101"  (Taipe 101 is the Building Name)  

[I am trying to put the Floor and Unit number back to this POI https://goo.gl/maps/zNLcP1X63Hu, address is given as: Suite A, 56/F, Taipei 101, 7 Xin Yi Road Section 5, Taipei 110, Taiwan]

{This is the POI of Taipei 101: https://goo.gl/maps/bSP6g7X4dN32}

Thank you very much in advance!

Connect Moderator

You should not need to add commas unless the address is unclear, the system should be able to parse standard addresses.

As stated, the XXX is for numbers.  And as stated previously, the system accepts street addresses (street number plus street name), not descriptions.  Words such as "Unit", descriptive terms such as "56th Floor" and building names all do not have fields and are not permitted in the address.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Hi @YK1001

Our normal way of using addresses is: 

ZipCode TownName StreetName HouseNumber FloorNumber DoorNumber

(these two latter ones only when it applies of course).

On an envelope however, this is how it would look like (in more lines):

StreetName HouseNumber FloorNumber DoorNumber

TownName

ZipCode

When writing an address in English, I simply use the English format. 

I liked MapMaker as there is a separate field for all these pieces - and it's easy for the system to display the different items according to the particular languages.

Level 8

Yes, @Csaba, I also consider having separate fields when entering address is a must.

We just studied why one place's name change input is always invalid.  (Cannot submit the edit) in Android Maps, Desktop Maps.  When everyone is about to give up, I checked in Mapmaker, find that all the address string is listed under the Address field, instead of being decoded into the corresponding fields.

Once using Mapmaker, the edit can be submitted and further published.

Level 8

Hi @Flash,

Just update some results.  I made 4 edits (Using Maps) based on what I learnt in this thread, and 2 of them is published:

1.  https://goo.gl/maps/jMoLfJcfi412  澳門經濟文化辦事處

a.  Current published Address:  110, Taipei City, Xinyi District, Section 5, Xinyi Rd, 7號台北101大樓A座

b.  Address String used in my edit:  56A ,7 Xinyi Road Section 5, Xinyi District, Taipei City 110, Taiwan

c.  Compare:  Level 56 is missing in the published version.  And there are Chinese in the address.  (I am using English as UI language in my Desktop Maps).

2.  https://goo.gl/maps/34syLGAcUeE2  天星港式飲茶

a.  Current published Address: 105, Taipei City, Songshan District, Section 3, Nanjing E Rd, 275號

b.  Address String used in my edit: 2, 275 Nanjing East Road Section 3, Songshan District, Taipei City 105, Taiwan

c.  Compare:  There are Chinese words (meaning Number) in the address.  Level 2 is missing in published version.

The two are still pending.

So still cannot got the Level Number included in the published version.

I hope to understand the English address format better before trying with Chinese Language format addresses.

Level 10

Yes, @YK1001, true that this feature of MapMaker is way more handy than in Maps. 

The way I usually do in maps is that I start to type the address and maps will "offer" a certain way (order) to enter it. I accept (then correct number and/or pin location if necessary) and submit that way hoping that this is how it "likes". 

MapMaker is a painfully clumsy site however (not to speak about the lack of a mobile version) and we cannot expect any updates any longer I am afraid.

Level 8

Hi @Csaba,

Contrary to my expectations, I find there are some updates rolled out to the Mapmaker site after the graduation announcement.

You might want to check it out yourself.