AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What is the difference between "Police Station" and "Civil Police" categories?

I am confused. Does anyone know the difference between "Police Station" and "Civil Police" categories? 

Sri Lanka
10 comments
Level 7

Re: What is the difference between "Police Station" and "Civil Police" categorie

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_station:   

A police station (sometimes called a "station house" in the US) is a building which serves to accommodate police officers and other members of staff. These buildings often contain offices and accommodation for personnel and vehicles, along with locker rooms, temporary holding cells and interview/interrogation rooms.

Im having trouble finding a clear, and short, definition of what Civil Police are, but it seems to be a term widely used in India, as well as Brazil.   Maybe an Indian Local Guide can give us a short explanation of this term.

Level 8

Re: What is the difference between "Police Station" and "Civil Police" categorie

I find this wiki regarding Civil Police in Brazil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Police_(Brazil)

In China, there are also multiple police units:

警察,武警,公安有何差別?

Level 9

Hello my dear @AnuradhaP hope you are fine today. 

In my India :

1.A police station is headquarters for a particular district, from which police officers are dispatched and to which persons under arrest are brought.

2. Civil police Also called police force. an organized civil force for maintaining order, preventing and detecting crime, and enforcing the laws.Members of such a force: Several police are patrolling the neighborhood.

Note: Civil police can do patrolling anywhere in country. 

Keep smiling, helping others and contributing to Google Map. 

@AnuradhaP wrote:

I am confused. Does anyone know the difference between "Police Station" and "Civil Police" categories? 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@TraciC @GusMoreira Could you please clarify this? In Sri Lanka, I saw a new trend in marking a police stations as a civil police.

Level 10

@AnuradhaP so many category are not suitable for us . also same in US , UK 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Does Sri Lanka has a police unit called Civil Police?

Level 7

The category "Police Station" exists in Google Maps English version because some users -- not everyone but some -- want to use it for certain places in their countries.

The category "Civil Police" exists in Google Maps English version for the same reason.

Google satisfies both of these groups.  We can ignore category names that we don't use!  No problem, man!

Level 8

Just to clarify:  some countries have two distinct police forces, one a civil police force assigned to something like the Ministry of Justice or Ministry of Internal Affairs and a militarized police force, which reports to another body.  Military police can be either part of the armed forces, or a parallel unit (paramilitary).  My understanding is that if your country has regular police officers, whose primary role is general policing, then use Police Station in the English version.  If your country has both, then choose Civil Police to differentiate the station (if it is purely for civil police.)  Really, it does not make much of a difference in my opinion.

Level 10

Hi @AnuradhaP, here we refer official buildings of police as police station and civil police as a part of police whose member are just like common people i.e. they can not be identified by their appearance.