Ann-MarieS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What is the correct way of adding Restaurants in Hotels

Hi! 

I've been seeing a lot of hotel restaurants added as a separate place on Google maps. I was wondering what is the proper way of adding if at all there is one? 

So I am not sure about other countries, but in Tanzania a lot of restaurants are open to public and not just for its house guests. At first I thought just adding the hotel would be correct but then I thought about how I personally do searches of "restaurants" in an area to see where to have a meal. So I've now stopped editing /reporting duplicates of these restaurant/hotels. 

What are your opinions? "mediterraneo" is a place I've reported because as you can see is been added 3 times"mediterraneo" is a place I've reported because as you can see is been added 3 times

"rooftop restaurant" is not the name of the restaurant. It is literally a restaurant on the roof of Tausi Palace. The restaurant is actually more well known than the hotel itself"rooftop restaurant" is not the name of the restaurant. It is literally a restaurant on the roof of Tausi Palace. The restaurant is actually more well known than the hotel itself

Tanzania
11 comments
Level 10

Re: What is the correct way of adding Restaurants in Hotels

@Ann-MarieS This is very interesting. In Sri Lanka also there are hotels with restaurants open for general public. I think it is better to mark as a hotel and write a review saying that you can have meals at restaurants. 

Connect Moderator

The restaurants would be mappable as a separate POI if they have their own name and phone number.

It sounds like you are describing a place where it doesn't have either.  In that case "Restaurant" should be added as an additional category to the hotel POI.

With the closure of Map Maker the general public does not currently have the ability to add an additional category (owners can still do so via GMB).  Please leave "Other Feedback" asking Google to add the category, explaining that the restaurant is open to non-guests but has neither it's own name nor phone number.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash

Yes the places don't have a unique name nor phone number. They are just part of the hotel. 

It sounds like you are describing a place where it doesn't have either.  In that case "Restaurant" should be added as an additional category to the hotel POI.

Not sure I've understood. So like a category "Hotel and Restaurant" should be added? 

I'll post on the feedback section of LG connect as suggested. 

Connect Moderator

Sorry for the confusion.

POIs (places on the map) have multiple categories, a primary one and then additional ones.

Currently Maps only lets us edit the primary category.  We could edit them all via Map Maker (now closed) and owners can edit them all via Google My Business.  We likely will be able to edit them all again as the Map Maker advanced editing features are added to Maps.

In the meantime, please use the "Send Feedback -> Other Feedback" feature within Maps to ask that they add "Restaurant" as an additional category to the POI.  You won't see that category on the feature, but the feature will then come up when people search for restaurants.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

I now have the problem: There's a hotel & restaurant, but the restaurant is only open from 4pm. Currently, there are no opening times in Maps as the hotel reception is open during the day.

Of the 7 reviews, 4 are for the restaurant, 1 is for hotel and food at the restaurant and the remaining 2 only have stars or no meaningful text.

Should I change this from "hotel" into "restaurant" and create a second "hotel" POI? Or is it better to leave it as-is with the risk of hungry people ending up here during times where the restaurant is closed?

Level 8

@Anonymous

Sorry can't help for certain but I would think adding two different POI would be preferable like I've seen in my palaces on Google maps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I now made the "Hotel & Restaurant" POI a "Hotel" and added a "Restaurant". However, the restaurant went into moderation. So I'm now waiting for it to be approved ... or rejected.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

I see that you based making a second POI on the fact that the restaurant is not open 24 hours a day.  This is not the appropriate criteria.  Please read up further in the thread where I explain the criteria, and apply that to your situation.  If you find you shouldn't have added the restaurant but it does get approved then you will need to delete it, don't forget that an approval is partially based on trust in your info so if you find your info was wrong you don't have to go with the result of the review of your edit.  If you have questions please do ask.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said, the "problem" with that specific restaurant is that it's only open during very unusual hours per day. If it's only one POI combined with the hotel, Google Maps will not show any opening times and NOT warn a user if he navigates there outside the opening hours. Since there's no other German restaurant anywhere near that location, it can be very frustrating.

Is there some official documentation about the criteria you mentioned earlier?