YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What is the best web address for a POI?

For a business chain, it has multiple branches.  What should be the web address for the POIs in a chain?

1.  Should the web address be the same all Branches, unconditionally, when there is one?

- when each Branch has a dedicated link, should be use the dedicated link for the matching branch instead?

3 comments
Level 10

Re: What is the best web address for a POI?

As far as I remember, @YK1001, the MapMaker "rule" (of thumb) was to add the root URL of the chain, not any deeper, specific URL of a local branch. The idea behind this was that while domains are usually static for a company for a longer period, deeper URL's may change when there is a site redesign. (Of course, this could be easily overcome by redirecting old URL's to the new ones - just like Google suggests for webmasters - but many fails to do so). 

On the other hand, some websites are so hard to navigate (especially on mobile) that it's close to impossible to find a specific branch so if someone knows what the exact URL is, sometimes it's better to ad that.

Level 10

@YK1001 personally for some cases I would prefer to have that specific branch URL if I am searching for something in Maps. For example if I was looking up a hotel which many branches, I don't want to go the their HQ web site and then try to figure out where to navigate to that particular branch. So in this case, for me personally, specific URL is better. Not sure about how others feel though.

Level 8

Hi @YK1001,

Although I hear what @Csaba is saying, I personally prefer to submit the branch page. Not only is it much easier to click on the logo or site's menu to go to the home page (domain root) if desired, I also believe it helps to get edits verified by the Google Bots, as the branch page has the local number, opening hours, name, etc.

Happy mapping, JeroenM