JamesH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

What I Hate... Map Spam

I have seen a rise in map spam the last couple of months. There are several listings that clearly spam that I have reported since late last year (and reported once a month). However, nothing seems to be done about it. I get that it can take "a while" to make these corrections.

Does anyone have a suggestion to help speed the process along?

5 comments
Level 7

Re: What I Hate... Map Spam

So to help get everyone singing off the same sheet, please give some examples of different types of "map spam". I can think of a couple types:
1. Photos uploaded to a map feature (place) that are unfocused, poorly composed, or that don't appear to have anything to do with the feature.

2. Reviews of the place that are just two or three words long or appear to be copied word-for-word to other places that the Maps user is reviewing.

Are there other types of spam that we should consider?

Level 5

Mostly what I am referring to is "Business Listings" that are being created using a search keyword such as, "DUI Lawyer [City]" as the name of the business. The listed website for the business is the homepage of a directory site. It's obvious that this is spam. 

There are more that again have a spam title of the business (see above example) but there will are real business websites listed as the business website, but there are 7 different "locations" with different business names ( DUI Lawyer [City] ) and different phone numbers. I called one this morning and the person answering the phone said they only had one location. I have been "suggesting an edit" for months without any action being taken.

I get frustrated with users spamming a great platform.

Level 9

Hi James, I understand and share the same frustration but I believe marking them as "Does not exists" is the only option as of now.

Because I do not think Google could have that much manpower to go through each and every edit that has been made or reported.

Level 5

Excellent point Ankita,

I think that only way is to mark theme as does not exist as its too easy for them to list this way.

Level 7

LaneB wrote: ...I think that only way is to mark theme as does not exist as its too easy for them to list this way.

I have had good success in the last several days with marking such "businesses" that do show only a city name as their address with either "never existed" or "permanently closed" and having my edit be approved immediately.