cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

WHAT'S GOING ON with my edits lately?

@Corrie,

Hi everybody,

It's a lot of work submitting edits which I know are correct and usually get approved very quickly ...so that makes me satisfied.However a recent attempt to correct an anomaly with the Grossmont Center shopping mall a few miles from where I live has turned into another Google maps edit nightmare that I haven't endured in some months.There are stores like Macy's,Walmart,Panera Bread,Cost Plus World Market and quite a few more that are within the Grossmont Center but Google maps have resisted in the main from my edit of Grossmont Center Theatre to simply Grossmont Center which is the correct and widely acknowledged name of the shopping center.I say in the main because I had success with the Target store in the same center...my edit was accepted and published.....but as is often the case has still not been changed on Target's Google maps address to Grossmont Center.I don't mind doing all the useful stuff I contribute on Google maps for free like everybody else but not being an unintelligent person I get extremely irritated when on rare occasions my edits are not being processed.There might have been a time long ago when there was a movie theater built at La Mesa and it might have been called the Grossmont Center Theater but no such name exists in the present day.There is also a Reading Cinema - Grossmont Center listed on Google maps as being in the Grossmont Center Theatre....how idiotic is that?Why would my Target store edit get approved and yet every other store in the shopping mall I have submitted the same change of name edit for has not been applied.There is a humongous sign which says GROSSMONT CENTER shopping center so I know I am correct.I see that the area has not been mapped by Google maps as there is not even a street view of the shopping center from outside.I have read right here on Local Guides Connect of many new local guides wanting payment for what they add to Google maps but I have no interest in that side of things....I'm trying to do the right thing here and I am one of the very few Local Guides in Southern California who is submitting large volumes of correct edits which have been published.The giving and receiving of kudos which I have gotten involved with just lately is a lovely thing..a pat on the back or a high 5 for posting interesting and engaging content on this forum....I love it.However the very serious business of getting rid of stuff-ups or wrong info on Google maps that I have become aware of is very important to me...I am a functioning perfectionist so I know when I'm right...and I am most certainly right on this occasion.I am currently sitting on 3,364 points with 8,681 posted photos which have been viewed 34,493,868 times at this very second.I have written 1,410 proper reviews,I have added 38 places and edited 176 places in less than 10 months.Is this enough work ethic to be appreciated by Google maps?I'm not sure about that but it's time for Mr Google to get his act together.  

Cheers,

Zed star.

What is going on here?What is going on here?What is going on here?What is going on here?Yes .....some kind of success!Yes .....some kind of success!

La Mesa, CA, United States
23 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: WHAT'S GOING ON with my edits lately?

Hi @Zeds,

Not much I can add to your issue here.

To work out all rejected edits are the funnisest part of being a LG.

Have fun.

I guess Maps will detected, when a Place is inside a Mall, if the address of the Place and the Mall are reasonably matched or not.

If I am you, I will concentrate to "fix" the Mall first. 

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @Zeds,

I am moving your post over to Mapping Your World.

Level 5

@YK1001,

Thanks mate...I was having a hard time finding a thread that was appropriate to my issue.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 6

I feel your pain, I spend a great deal of time correcting google maps only to have google algorithms stop me dead. Very frustrating. At what point do you get the trust?

Level 5

@YK1001,

Of course I can understand to some degree that Google maps are reluctant to approve edits of areas that they virtually have no eyes on...as I said there is no street view of Grossmont Center shopping mall.But for me to spend heaps of time writing reviews & taking photos of most of the shopping center only to realize that the shopping center is incorrectly identified on Google maps as Grossmont Center Theatre....it is over 20 miles from our home on the coast.The onus should not fall on me to prove something that is obviously incorrect to everybody who looks up the stores in the Grossmont Center on Google maps.Of course Google maps has 10 million times more resources than I do....I am simply endeavoring to help Google maps correct something that is stupidly wrong.There was even an advertisement for the Grossmont Center on tv last night not long after I posted my thread on this annoying issue which I took photos of.I even did a screenshot of their website which I googled of course.I have better things to do than waste my time submitting 100% accurate edits to Google maps when my submissions are not being approved let alone appreciated.As I said why would the Target store change of address be approved when all the other ones in the same center have not been approved.This irritates me no end!It would be nice to get some official views on why this is happening.I thought we were all helping each other to help Google maps help everybody. 

Cheers,

Zed star......very irritated.

The tv ad says it all!The tv ad says it all!Macy's is below Target but too faint to see.Macy's is below Target but too faint to see.Grossmont Center website.Grossmont Center website.

Level 8
Solution

Hi @Zeds,

Not much I can add to your issue here.

To work out all rejected edits are the funnisest part of being a LG.

Have fun.

I guess Maps will detected, when a Place is inside a Mall, if the address of the Place and the Mall are reasonably matched or not.

If I am you, I will concentrate to "fix" the Mall first. 

Level 5

@YK1001,

Thanks for making an effort to help me mate.

Cheers,

Zed star. 

Level 5

Re: How to find out if my place reivew is Public or Private

@YK1001,

I know this is off the topic being discussed here but I couldn't find your original reply to my issue regarding getting the name of a major shopping mall in La Mesa corrected to Grossmont Center from what has been on there for a while.....Grossmont Center Theater.I was initially trying to edit the center's name for individual businesses in the shopping mall but was having almost no success.You suggested attacking the name of the shopping mall itself.It took me a zillion edits but apparently I have finally succeeded.....I do get very frustrated at times with things that are not correct on Google maps which I am spending lots of time editing.......but I am very persistent and it has paid off this time.Thanks for the advice.I have a more defined method now to approach these matters.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Finally ...a victory!Finally ...a victory!

Level 5

@YK1001,

I have fixed the problem just as you suggested.It took a lot of edits and a lot of time.I am happy now.Thanks so much for reminding me to think outside the box.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 8

Hi @Zeds,

I am glad to hear that your dedication and determination won!

Thank you very much for letting me know as it make me feel good.

ps.  I found and merged your reply here.