EsteponaJen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Very frustrated Local Guide!

Hello @FintoCubano,

If something is 80% destroyed and no longer open to the public as a result then you can expect to have issues trying to add it to the map.  You should wait for it to be rebuilt.

For the tourist office you provided only a link to the webpage of the town.  If you would like advice as to why you might be having troubles adding it; the only thing we can tell you so far is that you've added an inappropriate URL.  If you'd like further advice then we need to know the exact information you provided in full, such as the GPS location (which you've now since provided), the name. the address, the phone number, the URL, the category, etc.

I understand I'm not restricted from editing and edits are not prevented in this area. What I'm trying to explain and provide some (I hope) useful feedback to Google is that:

1)  Anytime I try to add anything within the boundaries of the national parks mentioned in my earlier posts, the duplicate check message appears telling me ''Wait, are you trying to add the XXX National Park?'' whether it's a bar, a wool craft shop, a tower, anything. It does not happen, instead, OUTSIDE the boundaries of these parks at all.

That is correct, as I already explained this is the duplicate matching routines.  This does happen to people around the world.

People use inappropriate categories all the time.  One way that this has been trimmed down is to ask them if they really meant to map XXXXX, resulting in them not adding a feature a second time but with a wrong category the second time.

In another thread right now someone is trying to map each entrance to a industrial area.  He points out that others have done the same, and I can see they have by using inappropriate categories.  If the industrial area had been mapped as a polygon they would have been asked "Do you mean this industrial area?", and likely many of these inappropriate features would not have been mapped. 

These duplicate suggestions to prevent inappropriate entries means that if I try to put a store in a mall I'll often be asked if I'm actually trying to map the mall.  If I add a ice cream shop in a city park I'll be asked if I'm actually trying to map the park.  And if I try to add a doctor to a hospital I'll be asked if I meant to map the hospital.  It's an extra step to ensure good data on the map.

2)  After clicking on ''Submit Anyway'', most of the times (80%) the edits are not applied - proof above - 15% are (still) pending, 5% are applied.

This is unrelated to the issue of it being in a national park.  If you would like advice on making better edits then please post all the details you are using when entering an edit so that experts can advise.  It is best to create your own thread in which to do so.

3) These national parks encompass large areas, also populated, that are located in disadvantaged areas of Southern Italy which would greatly benefit from our work as Local Guides in adding/editing new/exisiting features, landmarks and shops, whose owners are (mostly) not aware of Google My Business.

I'm glad you are better mapping the area.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

I am a level 8 with 20,000. points over 300 reviews thousands of edits hundreds of pics and to date have not had any rejections. It has taken some time for a few new additions to show up but eventually they do. I think google has a huge job tracking and proving all the changes that are submitted. as a contributor i would think those who are frustrated and impatient would understand this. not every change or edit is acceptable to the google team. Please don"t be discouraged by the delays or rejections, just keep doing your best to improve the maps app.

I do this as a hobby and enjoy going places making record of the events and festivals taking photos and meeting new people, please don't be to serious about your part in the whole process, just enjoy the fact that your are a part of something that will help others use google maps successfully. 

Level 8

yes I also get very frustrated with them at times I've tried to post a number of sites which have been rejected I guess if they can't verify they don't post the sites

Level 8

Cool @JayAski

Lets Guide.

Level 9

also happening with me..its like de motivating the local guides

Level 10

Hi,

Part of the process of getting edits published is to figure out why they aren't published ; )   Editing Maps is not, IMNHO, intuitive.  It doesn't always work "the way one would think it would" because Google Maps is a very complex, multi-layered, dynamic, global map.  The learning curve for editing Maps is, in my experience, very steep.  What I would cheerlead for Local Guides to do is to post the specifics of the rejected edit in the Mapping Your World forum which will give other Guides an opportunity to offer suggestions, as well as get suggestions from some very experienced, expert mappers.

As Flash mentioned in an earlier post in this thread "If you'd like further advice then we need to know the exact information you provided in full, such as the GPS location, the name, the address, the phone number, the URL, the category, etc."  To move forward in mapping it is not enough to just say "my edit wasn't published" ...  if you want to get that edit published users in this forum need to know, specifically and completely what you tried that resulted in the listing/edit not getting published.

And yeah, that does take time ... to write all that out in a post and submit it.  And for some it may not be worth the extra effort -- I  get it ; )  when one is frustrated by a denial, some folks might say "after all I did, posting all of that is the last thing I 'wanna do!"   What I can tell 'ya is that my success (and enjoyment in editing) is the direct result of what I have learned from others ; )

MW

Level 10

Same issues happen to me all the time where my edits get rejected. I'm a level 10 with same points reviews and stats like yours. It is frustrating when you try to make a simple edit to correct an error then you are denied. Makes you not want to take 10 or 15 minutes to try to fix the the incorrect item because you know it will probably be denied and a waste of your time. 

Level 10

@AmarSu wrote:

@LucioV wrote:

Sorry @EsteponaJen I know how much are you dedicated to maps and to LG,  seems that actually many legit updates are being not applied, and it's not you or your updates, there is nothing wrong in what you are trying to get.

Please, read this: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Forever-Not-Applied/m-p/546337/h...

@LucioVThank you for your link. But when I checked this link I got the following message - impossible to read.png

Maybe this was not your intention, but with such behavior you are humiliating new and inexperienced users, like myself. 

Not my intention, I have not control over threads that have been removed.

Level 10

Based on the message when I try to go into my own post, it doesn't look like it's been removed as it mentions "sufficient privileges" for access. So it looks like it's been archived or raised into a higher security level. There is someone who tried to copy the contents of my post to a new post but it's not the same.

Needless to say, that post was a cesspool of negative discussions and a plethora of ranting that does deserve its place away from the general public, so I'm glad it's gone, although I would've liked some of the information to be accessible by myself.

@AmarSu, the post was available at the time @LucioV had posted it, but since the small forums hiccup back in June, I haven't been able to access it myself. At this moment, there doesn't seem to be any sway to the current algorithm that would result in mass amounts of edits being unfairly treated and not applied, but if you do have issues with peculiar edits, experienced mappers are always here to help.

Level 5

Watched your video  on youtube. Loved it, great video.