EsteponaJen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Very frustrated Local Guide!

Thats really inspiring! Great work done by you and amazing video.

Wonderful work. Keep it going and inspire people like us.

Level 10

@EsteponaJen @Briggs I do sympathise with you!

I have 133k edits but - to my surprise - everytime I try to make edits in a few areas in Italy they are always not applied, sometimes immediately sometimes after a few days.

After experiencing the same issue in Map Maker in the past couple of years and flagging that to the forum, then via the feedback tool in Maps, and here on Local Guides - with no solution - I honestly think (in my case) the ''NOT APPLIED'' results stem from restrictions imposed by Google in particular areas - especially national parks (within their green boundaries, thus affecting also businesses in towns and villages located within the boundaries of the often very large area occupied by the park itself ! Take a look at the Gran Sasso or Gargano Park...), which are fairly to very important tourist areas in Italy, possibly because of previous spamming by some mappers. It's the only explanation I can give to myself.

You cannot even add a restaurant with correct info (see the post by this fellow LG in my region's LG Community) or edit wrong names - they are all flatly not applied. 

These are the areas:

- Gran Sasso National Park, Abruzzo, Italy

- Gargano National Park, Apulia, Italy

- Cilento National Park, Campania, Italy

- Abruzzo National Park, Abruzzo, Italy

- the town of Matera in Basilicata, Italy

It's a shame because these are tourist areas in deprived parts of Southern Italy which could greatly benefit from the work of fellow LGs in adding/updating the information on businesses, landmarks, beaches etc.

@GusMoreira @Corrie Perhaps could you kindly report this to the algorithm guys or to whom it may concern at Google? I don't think the solution to the algorithm issue is working fine in these areas yet.

Many thanks

F

Connect Moderator

@EsteponaJen I also have become frustrated by these NOT APPLIEDs (see my post here) and am pleased that @BruceDM, a GOOGLE MODERATOR, has recently agreed to take this on board (see here).

Level 10

Well, several months on, I am STILL frustrated!

It has not been solved. Here is what I said earlier:

Here are some examples:

pen-Air Sculpture Museum.  It is clearly a typo for Open-Air.  I have edited this over 50 times, it is always rejected. STILL NOT SOLVED, STILL NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE ITS NAME.
Inline images 4 
Plaza Virgen del Mar This is wrongly located.  I have tried a great number of times to move it to its correct address, which is, believe it or not, actually in the Plaza Virgen del Mar, 300 metres away from Calle Guadiaro  Always rejected. FINALLY MOVED! Hurray!
Inline images 3

Estepona Playa This means Estepona beach.  It is sited several streets inland, I have tried and tried to edit it to the seashore, with no success.  STILL SITED WAY INLAND

Plus all the other edits not going through.

*SIGH*

But many thanks to all those who have sympathized with me.

20180331_152447.jpg

Local Guide for Estepona, the town that thinks it's a garden, the Garden of the Costa del Sol.
Connect Moderator

Well as I mentioned in my reply above @EsteponaJen, GOOGLE MODERATOR @BruceDM has recently (in fact only last Wednesday) agreed to take a look at this (see here) so fingers crossed that our mutual frustrations will soon be resolved

Level 10

Thank you @AdamGT.

But as we say in Spanish "Man vale esperar sentado". 🙂

Best wishes

Local Guide for Estepona, the town that thinks it's a garden, the Garden of the Costa del Sol.
Connect Moderator

Some hope is better than no hope @EsteponaJen 😉

Level 10

Dear @EsteponaJen,

I hope you don't mind but I had a look at the edits you've continuously tried to do over again over the last couple of months.

For "pen-Air Sculpture Museum", as it was a typo and with translations citing the place as The Street Museum of Estepona, I suggested your edit to Open-Air Sculpture Museum and it was successful. One of the possible reasons why you might have issues trying to update a place is because when you've attempted to edit a place multiple times and the AI has rejected it, despite any external influences such as the algorithms being at fault or not, it might approach or treat your edit with additional care. I'm able to make the edit because it's simply a typing mistake. I can't really make any other determinations since I don't have firsthand knowledge about the others (whether it's location or actually existing).

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 23.17.20.png

You can always ask a moderator to see if there have been any possible blacklists or indicators on your account that might flag complex or repeated edits, but for the most part these are generally system-imposed and can be reversely in the unlikely event it is found.

I hope your frustrations don't get the best of you. I took a pretty extended break for a few months and I'm feeling pretty fresh and renewed. The community is definitely going to be sure to help in any way they can, as 6LinksRule said, have hope, and patience.

Level 10

Why thank you for that, @Briggs !

I'm delighted that this particular bugbear has been dealt with by you.

Just another 50 more to go. 🙂

Thanks again

Former Google Contributor

Hello all,

I have been closely monitoring edits and the reasons some of these edits may be rejected.

For starters, the feature was not broken and is still working as intended.  At the highest level, we have an enormous amount of internal filters in place that can and will affect the success of your edits. These filters are in place for the integrity of the map. If an edit is immediately Not Applied, there is a good chance that it hit an important filter! Naturally we cannot reveal these filters to you so as to protect from spammers who might want to do harm.

If an edit is pending it will receive additional review, either by internal teams or through confirmation by other users through the Google Maps apps (think Q&A or Check The Facts).  This process can take some time.  We wen't into more detail in this evergreen post. Thank you all for your patience with the edit approval process!

@FintoCubano - It sounds like you're trying to add businesses (like a restaurant) to the park?  Most parks and especially National parks are places that can't be edited by the public although businesses can be added if they live therein.  This is something that can and should be done through Google My Business and there is a process in place for that which is best served by the business owners.

I am not available to respond on the weekend